FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been insterested on getting a 1-6x scope for my 16s since I've found I tend to do a lot of shooting up to 300yds out in the desert. I also plan to do combat training classes so thats why I think a 1-6x would suit my needs. Lower magnification for the drills required in the combat training classes and higher magnification for the shooting for fun out in the desert. I have an Eotech xps2 but found it hard to shoot in the longer ranges. I don't have the best eyesight so trying to shoot out far gets a bit fustrating. I've seen 1-6x going to $2k but I don't know if I want to spend that much for a type of scope that I'm still unsure about. Then I came across Primary Arms and their 1-6x scope with the ACSS reticle. Which I'm almost sold on, but I don't know if there is anything better out there?

I have a chance to pick up a Primary Arms 1-6x scope with deluxe mount for $300 locally. Should I go for this deal?

I ask becuase I'm not sure if there are better scopes for the price out there, as I'm fairly new to guns. Or is there a better optic system that you guys think will suit my needs better?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ya gets what ya pays for. :)

There's two types of glass out there: duty grade and everything else. I too am looking for a duty-grade 1x6 scope for my work SCAR.

I'm waiting for the Trijicon VCOG before I consider dropping serious coin on serious glass. YMMV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Horus blackbird or the Horus talon... Although they are a 1- 8 and a 1- 4 respectively. I personally run a acog on my 16 and wouldn't trade it for the world... just giving options

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the VCOG but its not out yet, so I'd want to wait for reviews and the $2.8k price tag is really steep when the top of the line Mark6 or a Z6 can be had for $2k. I was thinking that if I did end up liking the PA 1-6x scope but disappointed by the quality, I could get a higher quality scope later on down the road.

@Bcarson4374: Looked into Horus and not really liking the reticle. Too busy for me. Also looking for more of a 1x instead of a 1.5x and I think I'd like a little more magnification hence the 6x rather than 4x. I thought about getting an ACOG. How is it with close quarters? or how is the BAC? (if you have that version of it) I see people go with the rmr angled or on top but having one optic instead of two and adjusting magnification is more attractive to me.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I bought the Primary Arms 1-6, because I got tired of waiting on the VCOG. It's held up through a couple hundred rounds and I took 2 deer with it. The reticle is on par with a Burris MTAC. The eye relief aint that great, but its worth what you pay for it. I look at it as a temporary scope, but my son can't wait to get it as a hand me down. He loves it.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Another option to consider is a Trijicon TR24. Glass on those is great. Something to consider in the just under a grand category.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm going to have to add another vote for the Vortex Razor 1-6. That scope will hold its own with the Swarovski but it is a bit heavier. It has a huge eye box and the glass is ridiculously clear. It has a BDC reticle right now but vortex just announced new MOA and Mil reticles. They are worth more that the asking price.

Besides they Swaro and the Vortex I don't think anything else is there yet. They primary arms may be alright based on price but the rest of the offerings are bettered by Swaro and Vortex.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have always had luck with primary arms stuff. Not top of the line, you do get what you pay for...but still not bad stuff. Customer service is excellent.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'd like to throw in the SWFA 1-6x scope. I've been using it for quite a while now with no complaints other than it can't buy more ammo for me.

Reactions: LebbenB

·
Registered
37 Posts
vortex razor hd 2. way more clear than trijicon, lifetime no questions asked warranty, and got mine in the $1300 range which is cheaper than any of the big name brands.
100% agree on the Vortex Razor HD I could not be happier with mine. Best field of view on 1x out there, great to have 6x and the warranty alone makes it a good buy. The glass is class !

·
Registered
15 Posts
To the guys with the Vortex... How do you feel about the illuminated dot? I've been happy with the value of my other Vortex stuff but knowing the lines of the recticle are thicker for the fiber to run I'm hesitant to pick this one up and use the 6x

·
Registered
63 Posts
To the guys with the Vortex... How do you feel about the illuminated dot? I've been happy with the value of my other Vortex stuff but knowing the lines of the recticle are thicker for the fiber to run I'm hesitant to pick this one up and use the 6x
It is only the dot that is illuminated and it is a second focal plane scope so the reticle is perfect for use to at least 600 yards. I have a FFP viper PST and the reticle can be a little thick for true precision on 16x. The 1-6 Razor does not have the same problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Leupold Mk6 has fantastic glass and a decent reticle selection. I've got the CMRW 7.62 model for my 5.56 and a Mk6 3-18 TMR for my 7.62.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts