FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the relationship between # of twists and the wt of the bullet. I have heard in a few places to uses heavier bullets in the FS2k? In my ignorance, I already put about 500 rounds of Wolf (seemed liked a good deal), but realize getting cheap ammo for a rifle I want to stay in fmily for a few generations is, well, stupid.

Some suggestions, and more importantly, the reason behind the specific wt.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
A quicker twist rate i.e 1/7 such as the FS2000 has is required to stabilize heavier grain bullets.

You're fine shooting 55 grain and upwards.

Now if you had a 1/9 twist then you would run into problems shooting heavier bullets such as 77 grain ammo, at longer rangers due to the bullet not stabilizing properly and wobbling in flight.

55+ your Gtg.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wu --- so the 1:7 twist allows you to shoot heavier, but doesnt force you too. I like adaptability. I'll buy some heavier rds and see if I notice a difference.. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No problem. So long as your doing CQB stuff or even out to 100 yards, you'd probably not notice but once you start say....trying to sight your 1/9 twist, shooting 77 grain @ 300 yards. You'd be a pissed off $&&# :!:

Reason I say that is I was using some Black Hills 77 grain ammo and sighting in a buddies M4 with a 1/9 twist. Soon as I switched back to 55 grain ammo, my groupings improved.

You should be fine. Hopefully this weekend my Troy battle sights will be in, along with my new 'switch' :oops: , and I'll be doing some zeroing with my FS2000.

Good luck to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts