FN Herstal Firearms banner

#1 Things that made you buy?

14K views 72 replies 65 participants last post by  ZombieDoubleTap 
#1 ·
If you had to narrow it down to 1 thing - what is the #1 thing that made you buy a Ps90?

#2 ·
I knew of it from Stargate, which made me curious, but not enough o shell out the money.

What decided it was the recommendation of a very trusted gun shop staff at Atlantic Guns in Rockville MD. Great folks, who know their stuff. After their reviews and a detailed look at one they stripped, it ended on the must have list.

T

#6 ·
Ergonomics and design

I first noticed it because it was "cool" looking. Then its feature set (small, maneuverable, high capacity, light recoil, relatively light weight) actually made me seek one out to handle.

Once I actually held one and field striped it, I realized it was one of the nicest designs I had ever encountered. The ring sight and caliber gave me pause, as did its pricing while I gathered more information.

Once I was comfortable with its limitations and knew there were solutions for a few implementation areas that concerned me, I decided its price/performance was acceptable to me and bought one.

I bought it for its ergonomics and design and have come to like it so much in that respect, I will be accumulating spares and supplies enough to keep it useable even if such things be difficult to come by in the future.

#8 ·
I bought mine for alot of different reasons, but I guess the number one reason goes back to the reason I love guns so much: I love machines, and the more mechanical, the better. And guns pretty much are machines; every time you pull the trigger, so many things happen inside, it automatically ejects the empty case and loads a new round, cocks the hammer, etc. This is one reason I want a lever action rifle; they just feel cool as hell to shoot.

This gun has such an interesting, different, and downright cool action it's amazing. It gets as many, if not more, comments at the range than the UMP (which is alot), too.

So, if I had to choose just one reason, it would be the way the action and magazines work; it's just way too cool. :cool:

P.S. I know I never posted pics yet, but I wanted to wait until the rail showed up, since you've all seen probably hundreds of pics of stock PS90's already. :D

#12 ·
Alot of the same reasons already mentioned. If I had to name the #1 thing that made me buy it, I'd have to say it's nonconventional desgn.

To often gun manufactures build guns that have already been built, such as Clone 1911, clone Berettas, Clone Glocks, and clone Stoners AR15.
The PS90 was the first design that really was a new idea in a compact design.

#13 ·
Bought primarily for my wife and kids.

All cross eye dominant. A real ***** to teach someone to use their non-dominant eye to gather information for a sight picture = rewire the location and way the brain receives information. Can be done but isn't simple.

Decided to go left shoulder for them. Been working well. I'm an AR guy and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a STAG left hand AR...one for each (wife, son and daughter...they all already have normal ARs but see above paragraph for cross eye issues.)

Then started thinking about the PS90 =
-Ambidextrous
-Light recoil (for wife and kids is a REAL plus)
-High capacity magazine (less reloading...compared to an AR platform).
-Compact design (easier to manipulate for small frame people)

Downside =
-Questions about 5.7 lethality
-New caliber to stock..I got plenty of .223/5.56 and .308 already....
-Initial cost of weapon and magazines...oh well...

Thus far it has worked well for its intended purpose. As a main combat long gun I would field one of my ARs in a heartbeat before the PS90. But for vehicular travel or as a support weapon (wife or kids) the PS90 has no equal in my opinion..at least not without SBR or Class III weaponry...

Cheers,

#14 ·
easy610, I would not worry about lethality within 100 meters. Especially when you can put 10 aimed rounds in something at that distance in the time it takes to do 5 out of an AR. And if you're shooting 62 gr greentip out of that AR, the PS90 is far more lethal out to 200m, at least. I think you hit it on the head though calling it a support weapon.

#16 ·
Its hard to pick one thing. I had a Bushmaster 20" h-bar with camo finish, a Colt lightwieght sporter and carried a M-4 that last few years of my LEO career and had always liked the AR. But I wanted something smaller and different. I loved the way the PS90 feel's, the function and ofcourse it look's so cool(thanks to SG1). I had a friend that had bought two of them at our last gun show, a stock and a tr. He asked to trade the stock PS90 for my Bushmaster and i jumped at it. I'm still jumping because there are so many things great about this gun that have already been mentioned. I agree with them all. And the fist time I popped a cap I was in love.

#18 ·
I knew I wanted 1 when I 1st saw a P90 (prior to the Peruvian embassy recue), but caliber, cost, listening to peoples prejudices about the uniqueness of its design kinda cooled the fire. I had seen 1 at my fav gun shop, for about a year, but they had it stuck way up on the wall, where someone would have to get a ladder to get it down. Then my son was playing Call of Duty (XBOX live) and opened up the P90. After doing better with it, than all the other weapons he had opened, I made them take it down. As soon as I shouldered it, I knew I was gonna buy it. 50 round mag, the ergonomics, and no recoil. Definitely the most fun, and maybe best house gun ever. But a little overpriced, considering what you can get for $1500 on an AR or a Sig 550.

#19 ·
why i bought mine

i did alot of reading before i made my decision. the thing that won me over were
1 leo
2 size
3 easy cleaning
4 no snags. ask any leo about room clearing and they'll tell you.
5 how it looks. looks are important when we are constantly watched by the public. the milatary looking weapons can sometimes close doors to us when trying to learn about suspect/offender info or just having the public speak to us.
6 manipulation of the weapon is fantastic.
7 mag capacity is awsome.
8 ammo is not pistol caliber
9 its light and thats a big 10-4 when working security.

#21 ·
All the guns my dad left me are "normal" guns(don't get me wrong, I love them). As I said when I was in my local gunshop ordering it, "Everyone should have at least one socially unacceptable gun", one of the guys behind the counter said "hell yeah". So basically it's a very expensive toy that I plan to terrorize empty cans with.

And cause it's cool

#25 ·
If I were to choose just one thing as a reason for why I purchased my PS90, I'd have to say it was the fact that its a modern FN product.

FN (a well known military OEM) who's known for developing not only proven systems like the FAL, FNC, and M2... But also state of the art systems like the F2K, P90, 5.7 and SCAR... AND, this same company is willing to sell civilian versions of their top-flight products.

I say KUDOS to FN! :shock:

#26 ·
Well I would have to say the reason I got two is because, 1...it is at the top of guns to be banned and 2...is the overall size compared to all my ar's.. that being said, it holds a crapload of rounds without being too heavy and it just looks COOL!!!!! :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.