FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang back in 2006 when I heard they were making a P90 for the civie market I was frothing at the mouth. Scraped up what I figured the cost would be and went to my FFL buddy who had ordered for me before. I was about $200.00 short and luckily cause after there I stopped by the local big market gun store to look at one and instantly handed it back when i saw the long barrel on it. So now after some tax free deployment money I'm looking at getting a new toy and well anyway long story short hehe, am I able to get one with 10.3'' barrel now? Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The short answer is yes. The NFA section has a lot of info on how to go about getting one. Not a true P90 but close enough.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can get it with the short barrel, but there is NFA paperwork that needs to be done prior to your being able to own it. For instance, I bought a PS90 with the longer barrel and then decided that I wanted it with the 10.3" barrel. Well, I filled out the paperwork, got fingerprinted twice, talked with the Chief of Police and mailed it in. It took a total of 8 months or so. Once the paperwork was in order, and I had approval, I cut off the old barrel and installed the new barrel. The process requires that you pay $200 to the NFA for processing and the Tax stamp. You then can assemble it. Be mindful that there are many restrictions that come along with NFA weapons. For instance, you have to have prior (1 month long process) approval to take an NFA registered weapon across state lines. You can get a year long time frame for that if you word it correctly though. You need to carry a copy of all NFA paperwork associated with your NFA weapon, so you can prove that you can own it at any time. You cannot 'lend' the weapon to anyone. I believe they can shoot it in your presence but that is all. There are others, but those are the biggest, most common ones. Good luck.

**edit** Here's mine

Zhur

·
Registered
148 Posts
SGT,

Sure you can as long as your locale allows ownership of SBRs, then all you'll need is the proper ATF form approved and SBR tax stamp (about $200), then you're good to go. I don't recall the ATF form number,but I'm sure other here will have that info for you. As a Cali resident it's irrelevant for me, so I don't bother remembering it . . . to frustrating just thinking about what others can have. :cry:

Post pictures once you've purchase once, would be cool for the rest of us to drool over. :shock:

--------------------------

uuuuuppphhh! . . . . looks like Zhurdan beat me to it. There's lots of info here, so good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm probably several months out anyway. Got a short deployment coming up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
wonder if obama gets elected this will go away as a option.... how hard is it to change the barrel in a reg ps90 to the short one?

Ray

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's pretty easy if you have the right tools. I did not have the right tools. hehehe

A drill press is highly recommended, unless you just chop the barrel off with a cut off tool.

Zhur

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
greythorn3 said:
wonder if obama gets elected this will go away as a option....
Ray
Thats the 64 trillion dollar question. Obama does not have the votes in Congress to pass another AWB currently but the entire house is up for re-election this year and the Democrats could gain a large margin. He does have the support to clutter the laws and regulations to make it all but impossible to own a firearm. I think that you would be wise to get this done ASAP as the paperwork will take some time to get completed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm honestly not too worried about more gun control legislation in the near future. With the multitude of issues on the current table, I see this issue taking a back burner. The Dems are more concerned with catering to the "rural voter" at this time and not likely to push a divisive issue like this at this time. Now 4 years and 1 day from now who knows?
Anyway as far as this ATF paperwork I have to do, do I have to own the weapon first in order to start the process? Also, does being active duty military change anything?

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
SGT Rob said:
Anyway as far as this ATF paperwork I have to do, do I have to own the weapon first in order to start the process? Also, does being active duty military change anything?
Yes because the Form 1 requires the serial number of the SBR which means that you must posess the receiver.

As far as the military is concerned, this opens a whole new ball game. Are you in the barracks? Will you use the arms room for storage of your personal firearm? Do you have a permanent address (live off post) that you intend to keep the SBR located at? What will you do with the firearm when you change your station and you can not posess it in the new location?

These are just some of the questions that need to be answered and it has been years since I left the military so maybe someone active can chime in and provide additional information.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nope, sorry. I already looked into it. Unless you get one from the military, you have to go through all the civilian channels.

Man, that would be cool though, carrying an auto P90 in Iraq....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts