FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of 10 round magazines being converted to 50. With the 6 I just did that makes 7 I have converted in all with hardly any more effort then it takes to convert a 30 round magazine. I got these latest 6 10 rounders from cheaper than dirt for like $36.00 each.

In this picture you will see some epoxy blobs. The amount of epoxy can vary wildly between magazines, but there was never so much that one decent tap with a hammer and punch didn't separate the butt plate from the retainer. In some cases the epoxy was splooged on enough that it took a little bit of effort to slide the butt plate off, but at no time did I ever apply enough force to ever feel like I was running any risk of damaging anything. Also be sure to scrape all the epoxy off, if flakes right off the plastic of the magazine and you wouldn't want any of the flakes ending up in the magazine or gun later. At this point use what ever method of the typical conversion from 30 to 50 methods that you feel comfortable with.

Just a way to save some bucks if you are handy with tools since converting these 6 may have taken me 30 minutes.

·
Vendor
5,877 Posts
Nice pics. I opened mine up for cleaning purposes. Please check your State and local laws befor any conversions. :?

I will have to check out cheaper than dirt for those! :shock:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Even at $36 - it's not cheap enough for me - I've heard that they charge a lot for shipping. And, someone claimed a while back that the spring for the 10 rounders were shorter. If that is true, U may need to but those Mag parts aftermarket springs.

·
Vendor
5,877 Posts
The springs are the same length as the 30 and 50 rounders. The only change is the length of the block. :? at least they are on the last 14 I have purchased.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang

Damn... guess they caught on or something since they seemed to have sold out pretty fast on them twice. Glad I got in.

As far as shipping goes cheaper than dirt appears to charge actual UPS or Fedex rates. The shipping on the 6 mags I bought was $12.46.

In the end I got 6 50 round mags for $227.80

Ah well.. keep it in mind when looking at mag prices in general.

As far as the spring goes I can't detect any difference between it and the three factory 50 round mags I have. They have so much tension on them from the blocking extension that on one when I slipped the butt plate off it popped out and hit my nose so damn hard I was surprised I didn't get a bloody nose.. :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great post!

Ship, you outta make this a sticky

Gregg

·
Registered
520 Posts
alright- i can now officially confirm this. just got a NIB 10 rd mag from a guy on gunbroker and did the conversion on it using a NeoArms floor plate stop and threw in a new MagazineParts spring.

i had to laugh, because the epoxy on the floor plate/block was so weak that i didn't even need a punch. i pushed the floor plate in with my finger tip and it was already loose.

epoxy was extremely easy to scrape off- less than 1/4 mm thickness, i would say. got it off, pulled the block and spring, installed new spring and floor plate stop, reinstalled floor plate and was done.

start to finish, including the scraping of the epoxy, was MAYBE two minutes- probably more like a minute.

:?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i recently converted a 30rd to a 50rd mag with no trouble at all. i couldnt pass up a 30 rd mag for $20

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got 7 mags for my ps90... I'm done.

2 converted 10rd'ers
3 converted 30rd'ers
2 original 50rd'ers

Now I can go to the range without reloading. :shock:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought 4 50 round mags last week I think he has more left.
$70 a piece
502-922-4457
Knob Creek Gun Range
690 Ritchey Lane
West Point, KY 40177

·
Registered
12 Posts
magazine blocks

new member, sa the post on magazine conversions & have a request:

if anyone has "up converted" their mags & is in no need to their block (for 10 rounders), I'd like to have/buy/trade for them.

I've got a friend in PRK (CA) that can't find the 10's, has access to 30's & 50's, but needs the blocks to "down convert" the larger cap mags.

any help would be appreciated

Jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts