FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13" SBR Scar17... did you cut down the barrel or buy the 13" Barrel Assembly?

Is there any difference between a cut down factory 16" barrel and a factory 13" barrel assembly?
I'm wanting to get a can eventually for my Scar17, but I'm worried it'd just be way too long with the factory barrel length. Even unsuppressed, I feel the gun would handle even better with just a few more inches cut off the barrel. I'm hesitant though because in addition to the $200 tax stamp, the factory barrel assembly is around $1100. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
I forked over the coin for the factory barrels (did the 16 also). It was pricey, especially if you add on the cost of my soul...which I had to sign over to get the money.

But, if done right, having the barrel cut is a viable and much cheaper option. All that barrel money could have gone to suppressors. But I wanted the 16" barrels intact, so that's why I went the way I did.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I went the chop route, wasn't spending 1.2K for a barrel. I bought two new take offs, a 16s & 17s 16" for $330 ea. had Marvin cut & thread them to length and have the stock 16" barrels for parts. You gotta love parts ! :?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went the chop route, wasn't spending 1.2K for a barrel. I bought two new take offs, a 16s & 17s 16" for $330 ea. had Marvin cut & thread them to length and have the stock 16" barrels for parts. You gotta love parts ! :?
Oh wow, $330 for a brand new FN barrel?! Where did you score that? Gunbroker?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Keep the original barrel in case you want to reach out further at some point unless you plan on owning more than one SCAR-17 eventually.

I might SBR my SCAR if I got a CSR-20 though.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Keep the original barrel in case you want to reach out further at some point unless you plan on owning more than one SCAR-17 eventually.

I might SBR my SCAR if I got a CSR-20 though.
I bought a new 13" barrel assembly, even though Marvin can work wonders, cutting a hard chrome lined barrel is always a crap shoot to me. I then kept my original to reach out there if I want to. The SSR might make that extra barrel null and void..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts