FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply put, why go for a 10 inch barrel and the stamp over the 14 with a flash hider attached? I believe there is around 50% less pressure in your can with a 14 inch barrel (correct me if I'm off base with that, might not be pressure per say) and your velocity stays more in the neighborhood of 16-18 inch barrels. The big things I see going for the 10 inch is maneuverability and it's good looks.

I ask, because most pictures of scars in the field are of 10inch 16's and 13 inch 17's with suppressors. Is the scar really that good with a short barrel/suppressor setup? From what I hear, once you get the gas port set up it runs equally well with a 10 or 16 inch barrel. But your suppressor is still going to take a beating and the gas in the face will be there as well right? I assume those guys know what they're doing but it perplexes me, could someone explain why so many choose the 10 inch barrel for the scar? I'm trying to decide which route to take.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From what I read it's basically for maneuverability and good looks. With the 10/13" barrel and folding stock, the SCAR is pretty small so getting in and out of vehicles even with full gear is much easier. And like you said if the shorter barrel runs equally well as 16" then why not give yourself the advantage of the maneuverability and the bonus of looking way better for little to no loss in performance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great point, getting in and out of vehicles in gear can really be a pain in the @$$, even with a 14 inch M4. I felt for the guys who had to wield a M16, plus a 10 inch does look BA...

Rule number 1, Always look cool.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
22,109 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
You still do get gas in the face. Can't avoid that. But as other have said, a 10" on a 16 is so ergonomically correct!

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Gas to the face I feel isn't as bad as most say it is. Sure its annoying, but its not like it keeps me from having eyes on target. I would definitely go 10" on the 16 and you can always pick up another 16 down the road and pin that one and have the best of both worlds. I'm considering picking up another 16 to leave with a 16" barrel and have my main 16 a 10" SBR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gas to the face I feel isn't as bad as most say it is. Sure its annoying, but its not like it keeps me from having eyes on target. I would definitely go 10" on the 16 and you can always pick up another 16 down the road and pin that one and have the best of both worlds. I'm considering picking up another 16 to leave with a 16" barrel and have my main 16 a 10" SBR.
thanks, I think I'm going to SBR it. It just looks right on the gun, plus I figure if I ever really need to I can buy a 16 inch barrel assembly to drop back in it. Do you use a brake on your barrel to protect the suppressor?

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Nope. I run an AAC SDN-6 and AAC only recommends running their flash hiders due to the scar platform having an indifferent should to time a brake on. Depending on what can you get though, I wouldn't worry about shooting out your can. If you can afford that much ammo, you can afford multiple more cans. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently SBRed my 16s with the 10" barrel and the difference between the 16" barrel and the 10" barrel for gas/pressure in the face is like night and day. The brake on the 16" barrel throws tons of gas back, but on the 10" barrel the muzzle device appears to be a flash hider, and does not throw even half of the gas back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with Jack Mobes…

Shorter Barrels looks cooler, plus I agree with Rule number 1.

SCAR 16s would have this problem if FN would put a better looking buttstock and a M4 Profile barrel/ or Heavy Barrel. That barrel is two thin….Period.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shorter barrel is much more balanced with a can on the end versus a longer barrel. Also, POA/POI shift isn't as radical because the shorter barrel is stiffer. Then of course the benefits of having a shorter length.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Shorter barrel is much more balanced with a can on the end versus a longer barrel. Also, POA/POI shift isn't as radical because the shorter barrel is stiffer. Then of course the benefits of having a shorter length.
Most suppressors used on an SBR benefit from the use of a muzzle brake as it acts like an extra Blast Baffle..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most suppressors used on an SBR benefit from the use of a muzzle brake as it acts like an extra Blast Baffle..
Provided the can never ever comes off the gun. Personally I think it's an overstated benefit. Brakes in general are a no-go on my end. I'd rather do work in a shoothouse with a partner with a 10" and a bare muzzle than a 16" with a brake. A high quality can is going to last a long time provided you don't abuse the crap out of it.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I look at it as a cost of doing business.. I also own several cans that can act as a multiple caliber suppressor.. So far I have always up bought largest cal, within reason, can I plan on shooting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I look at it as a cost of doing business.. I also own several cans that can act as a multiple caliber suppressor.. So far I have always up bought largest cal, within reason, can I plan on shooting.
Cans are definitely wear items. However, due to our laws on suppressors (especially relative to many other nations) they are considered, 'lifetime' purchases because replacement is costly. The unintended consequence of this is that, speaking in general terms, American cans are constructed far more robustly than their foreign brethren and can take a lot more abuse. It isn't uncommon to see disposable or semi-disposable cans in countries where they are OTC.

No doubt that if cans were deregulated we'd see much of the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts