FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the better carry ammo for 9mm ?

9mm Luger, Federal Premium Handgun Cartridge, 147 Grains, Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Point

or

9mm Luger, Federal Premium Handgun Cartridge, 124 Grains, Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Point

or
9mm Luger, Federal Premium Handgun Cartridge, 135-Grain Hydra-Shok JHP Bullet, 1060 fps

or

9mm Luger +P, Federal Premium Handgun Cartridge, 105-Grain Expanding Full Metal Jacket Bullet ( i think they messed up it might be 115 grain not 105)

or

Ammo 9mm 124 Grain Hydra Shok, JHP 124 Grain +P+

carry guns are glock 17 and a M9

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Ammo 9mm 124 Grain Hydra Shok, JHP 124 Grain +P+

In a G17 or M9, the +P+ will not be as snappy as in a smaller subcompact.
The extra pressure will also give you better penetration, especially against anything with heavy denim and/or multiple layers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i`ll have to pick some up the problem is i always shoot 115 ball at the range and i never use the actual loads i carry ( i know i should shoot it as well), but at what 7 yards or less if you miss your target then you deserve what you get anyways

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about shooting 115grain since you are using a full size gun.
If it were a subcompact them i would suggest shooting your carry ammo a little so you can get use to it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I tend to use 147 gr. Win Ranger T or Speer Gold Dot. Other 147s I tend to stay away from.
Of those on the list I would go for the 124 gr. +P+, but would prefer something in a +P rather than +P+ if I had my druthers.
Is the M9 a Beretta M9 or a Steyr M9?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger SXT all the way.

If this were 1988, I'd be carrying Federal Hydrashoks because they'd be the best on the market.

They aren't any more, and haven't been for quite some time. They have a bad habit of seperating their jacket and core, especially through things like glass, and of getting clogged with heavier clothing and not expanding.

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P or 147 gr. loads are very effective, as are the Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr. +P+ or 147 grain loads.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P or 147 gr. loads are very effective, as are the Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr. +P+ or 147 grain loads

so which is a better brand? and what is the best round out of the different grains?

·
Registered
323 Posts
When talking about the top rounds we are probabaly splitting hairs at that point.
I prefer slightly the Win Ranger T 147 but in 9mm and .45 they are harder to find around here than Speer Gold Dot. I don't care which of the two I carry. Win Ranger T 127 +P+ is in the same category of excellent performers in ballistic jello.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer the Ranger T 147gr part number RA9T. I have been shooting the Ranger FBI load the 147gr Bonded jhp part number RA9B a lot this summer.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I still like the hydro shoks and have a butt load of them. Gold dots are OK as well, but we all know it comes down to shot placement, not magic bullets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts