FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if this is a common issue on these new. on all 3 of my magazines I have to put a lot of force to get the 17th round in (I use the uplula loader) then I have to actually use a lot of force to get it into the gun and it also wont even let me rack the slide. Is this normal for the first few uses to just load maybe 15 rounds until the magazines break in?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Seems 100% normal, all of my mags,the last round is a killer but it will slowly improve a little (very)! If u cant rack slide with 17 rounds then there is a issue!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with 17 in I can't even insert the mag without a nice slap on the bottom. I just rechecked it let me rack it after unloading and reloading the mag.

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
It sounds pretty normal for a new magazine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
disregard my idiocy It's already improving. I'm sitting here unloading and reloading the mags *away from the gun*

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
OK, sounds like u have stiff springs use some good lube on mags and all should be fine, leave them loaded since it wont hurt springs!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
disregard my idiocy It's already improving. I'm sitting here unloading and reloading the mags *away from the gun*
Don't worry, we all go into Shock when a new gun acts up and Welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the help. Just used to the finicky gun (Not sure if name calling is alloud but I'll say it was a certain "Compact" 9 that was $150) This is a BIG step up for me. I did hours (and days) of researching all over and decided the FNX-9 was the gun I just HAD to have. Now I'm looking for a .22 handgun to plink with since I have a decent supply of ammo for that.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
.22 ammo is exp and hard to get and remember MANY semi .22's wont work proper with Stingers (most)!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I would go easy on those mags. They're expensive. Sixteen rounds should be more than enough to do the job.
1 should do the job, however if a mag is made to hold X amt and it don't then there is an issue but they do need a little break-in period!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe where you are from. lol .22 is plentiful for me. I just want the gun as a plinker-toy to have fun with since 9mm is a bit more to shoot as often.

I'm really curious about the federal aluminum cased ammo 20 cents a round and it looks good. I picked some up to try out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
with 17 in I can't even insert the mag without a nice slap on the bottom. I just rechecked it let me rack it after unloading and reloading the mag.
. My new fnx 45T was almost impossible to get 15 in one of the mags so I took I apart, put it back together and was finally able to squeeze that last one in!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes the springs are stiff on the new FNX-9'magazines. I load the last few rounds with an UPLULA and let them sit for a few weeks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 should do the job, however if a mag is made to hold X amt and it don't then there is an issue but they do need a little break-in period!
That last round can be a bear getting it into the magazine but since mine also holds one less than the maximum without effort I just live with it hoping it extends the life of the magazine spring. YMMV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to update this and say after around 350 trouble free rounds and numerous loading and unloading of the mags they fit and function normally with 17 rounds originally you almost couldn't even rack the slide the magazine was so stiff with 17 so I ran it with 15 for awhile in each one.

I have a loader and without it I wont even bother trying to fully load to 17. with it there is no issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts