FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, years ago I purchased a new 16s from an out of state dealer who incorrectly thought I needed the flash suppressor welded to the barrel. Rather than make a big issue out of it I just decided to let it ride but now it's bugging me for no particular reason but I want to "fix" it. If I undo (?) the weld somehow (rather, have an expert do it) will that damage the barrel? Is it better to just buy a whole new barrel from FNH? I'm really bugged by it lately and can't change what I didn't do 6 years ago when I purchased it.

Thanks in advance
Surfer

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You may have to drill out the weld and you might damage the threads where the "hole" is. but any smith will be able to chase the threads with the proper die and fix it. Having a dimple in the threads of the muzzle won't hurt anything from a functional perspective. If it's pinned/welded it's a similar thing. Grind out the weld until you can see where the pin is, and carefully take out material until you can get the pin free. Then repair any damage to the threads and off you go. If you're nervous, any smith worth his salt will be able to do it for you.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Long story short, years ago I purchased a new 16s from an out of state dealer who incorrectly thought I needed the flash suppressor welded to the barrel. Rather than make a big issue out of it I just decided to let it ride but now it's bugging me for no particular reason but I want to "fix" it. If I undo (?) the weld somehow (rather, have an expert do it) will that damage the barrel? Is it better to just buy a whole new barrel from FNH? I'm really bugged by it lately and can't change what I didn't do 6 years ago when I purchased it.

Thanks in advance
Surfer
Send it to Adco he’ll fix you right up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts