FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys....

So I have had a SCAR 17s for awhile now. Decided to take the suppressor plunge and bought a SpecWar 7.62. When the tax stamp arrived I ended up taking it to a gunsmith in Austin who recommended I install a muzzle break with the jam nut......So I gave him the okay.

Anyway....Took the thing to the range and noticed the roll pin stop was missing.....which meant I had to send the can back to silencer co for repair. During the rma time it was gone, I started doing some research (mostly here) and found that using a jam nut is a big no no along with the break (or is it?)...So I went ahead and got a flash hider as well.....

So the gun comes back, and I drop it off at the nearest gun smith. I tell him "No jam nut....flash hider only. Please check for alignment."....I go to pick up the gun, and low and behold...jam nut...flash hider....red locktite. So I'm pissed because the dude isn't listening to me....and I leave after arguing with this smith for 10 minutes with my only ammo being what I read on the internet......

Anyway....am I good to shoot this thing without blowing Stellite all over the range? You guys have me a bit worried....do I need to remove the jam nut and just stick the flash hider on myself? I miss the military where people just told me exactly what I need to do.

Thanks in advance,

Lonestar

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
It has been said on a lot of these threads from the mouth of AAC and SilencerCo. NO jam nut. It can cause the mount to tweak and cause a baffle strike. Plus no compentent gunsmith uses red loctite on muzzle device install
^^^^ This NO Jam Nut, Flash hider only on the 17, and Rocksett not Red, Blue, or any other color loctite, this so you don't run the risk of a baffle strike.

NO JAM NUT :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....I just had him pull the jam nut off and rock set the flash hider down. How do you check if it is centered? Is there an easier way than a micrometer?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks guys....I just had him pull the jam nut off and rock set the flash hider down. How do you check if it is centered? Is there an easier way than a micrometer?
If it's threaded on till it bottoms out against the muzzle you should be fine but if you want to make sure you'll need to use a long rod with a diameter just small enough to fit down the bore. The rod should be center in the mount and it's best to check with the suppressor mounted and the rod also able to pass through the dead center of the suppressor. The longer the rod the better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on...I'll head on out to home depot tonight to see what I can find. Eyeballing it with a pen light and it looks pretty centered with the can on. Wanna make sure before I make an expensive mistake. Also, Talhoffer, I really like your paint job on the SCAR. Looks good man.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Exactly why I never deal with local gunsmiths. Only quality, proven, reputable folks who know that the f%^# they are talking about and doing.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Right on...I'll head on out to home depot tonight to see what I can find. Eyeballing it with a pen light and it looks pretty centered with the can on. Wanna make sure before I make an expensive mistake. Also, Talhoffer, I really like your paint job on the SCAR. Looks good man.
Hate to say it but nothing you find at Home Depot or any other hardware store will be straight enough to confirm whether the suppressor mount is squared up to the bore ... it needs to be something precision ground to insure it's extremely straight/true.

17" 7.62mm Suppressor Alignment Rod
Like Talhoffer said, if the mount is tight you should be good. Now go back and club that "gunsmith" for being an idiot and trying to cause a potential baffle strike on your new can! :-x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up trying a micrometer to "check". Got tired of the micrometer, so I shot it. Works good. :) No recoil really to speak of and no hearing protection needed. I like it. :) Unfortunately, now I think I'm going to need suppressors for my FNX and FNS. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The el cheap-o way that I was told, may not be scientific or precise, but the way I was told to check, was to get a big piece of paper and start at almost point blank, fire couple rounds of what you plan shooting, and move back bit by bit until you are a couple feet away, make sure no key holes, and you should be gtg, should. But that's just because I am cheap, and lazy, and but mainly because I was told this at the range and it's a bit of a trip back (about 30 min) into town for a .3" dowl

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Suppressors are like are addictive..Once you go through the process you will look around at all the different guns you need suppressed..

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
The el cheap-o way that I was told, may not be scientific or precise, but the way I was told to check, was to get a big piece of paper and start at almost point blank, fire couple rounds of what you plan shooting, and move back bit by bit until you are a couple feet away, make sure no key holes, and you should be gtg, should. But that's just because I am cheap, and lazy, and but mainly because I was told this at the range and it's a bit of a trip back (about 30 min) into town for a .3" dowel
You can have a mount crooked and shoot fine only to attach a suppressor and have issues ... trigonometry is a b*tch!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts