FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I start reloading I am stuck buying manufactured ammunition.

I am looking for good 175 grain ammunition. I know that Federal Gold Medal Match is the standard, but it is expensive and hard to find these days.

Looking on ammoseek.com I have found a large availability of HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) and SSA (Silver State Armory) in 175 grain. HSM seems to have mixed reviews, some people put it up there with FGMM while others say it is garbage. Cant seem to find much on SSA but some reviewers on midwayusa.com gave it great reviews.

Anyone have any experience with these brands? Any other brands I should look at as well? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Might look at hornady's 178 gr rounds, I've read a lot of good about them and will be trying to get my hands on some to try when the weather gets nice to go try a bunch of stuff out. Black hills is also alleged to be a good round.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I have had issues with HSM in both my FAL and DMPS. Firing pin dents primer but no kaboom. Happens about every 3rd or 4th round. Does not happen with any other round I use including Winchester white box.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SSA is great. They were recently brought by Nosler I believe and their prices have gone up. Great ammo and fantastic brass for reloading if eventually you want to get into it. I use SSA exclusively for my 6.8, but now im looking for other brands that arn't 40 bucks a box (new stuff).

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just checked out South West Ammunition's web site. Pretty good stuff. Check out the videos. 308 Winchester

Thanks 15ICAM for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
HSM is made here locally so it is always available. Unfortunately it sucks like a Lohan on a coke line. I'd pass on the HSM if I were you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What is HSM?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts