FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am kind of new to the forums. I have been looking and reading a lot but this is my first time posting. I am thinking about getting into 3 gun comps with the 17. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on different optics people are using on the 17 in 3 gun comps and which optic they think is best or have had the most success with in competition for being able to engage targets from close-long range. I have seen a bunch of posts on optics but nothing specific to 3 gun (Please point me in the right direction if a thread like this already exists).
Thank you very much! Wisdom is much appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 X 4 or 1 X 6 of whatever flavor you prefer are pretty much the standard optic for 3gun. A 17 would work great in Heavy Metal Division but some clubs restrict HM guns to be iron sighted only. Some clubs have a HM Scoped class though. A 17 does not work so well in Tactical Iron or Tactical Optics Division because 20 round mags vs 30 or 42 or 60 round mags puts you way behind on big stages. There's no advantage to shooting a .30 gun in TI or TO. The best advice I can give you is don't buy anything before you shoot a few matches. What you think you need going in is rarely what you end up using, wanting or needing. Shoot what you've got. Meet and talk to some experienced shooters. See what the fast guys are using. There is are a bunch of good reasons why they use what they use. 3 guns shooters will be more helpful to a new shooter than you'll believe. Be safe and have a good time but get your wallet ready. 3gun gets spendy really fast.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used my 17 in what IndianaMultiGun calls Heavy Tactical. That's basically Heavy Metal as far as rifle rules go, with the exception of allowing optics on the rifle.
None of the ranges I shoot at are much beyond 300 yards, so my 1-4X was fine.

FWIW, If this area is any indication, your competition within your class will be limited. I was the only shooter in Heavy Tac class in most of the matches I attended this year. One match had another shooter who I don't know and didn't get to meet, and I dragged a friend along with his Sig 716 to another. Other than that, I was guaranteed to be first...and last.

·
Registered
740 Posts
1 X 4 or 1 X 6 of whatever flavor you prefer are pretty much the standard optic for 3gun. A 17 would work great in Heavy Metal Division but some clubs restrict HM guns to be iron sighted only. Some clubs have a HM Scoped class though. A 17 does not work so well in Tactical Iron or Tactical Optics Division because 20 round mags vs 30 or 42 or 60 round mags puts you way behind on big stages. There's no advantage to shooting a .30 gun in TI or TO. The best advice I can give you is don't buy anything before you shoot a few matches. What you think you need going in is rarely what you end up using, wanting or needing. Shoot what you've got. Meet and talk to some experienced shooters. See what the fast guys are using. There is are a bunch of good reasons why they use what they use. 3 guns shooters will be more helpful to a new shooter than you'll believe. Be safe and have a good time but get your wallet ready. 3gun gets spendy really fast.
im not sure i agree 100% it depends on how far the long range targets are and how many long range target. i have a friend that shot his 308 in TO at BRM3G and finished fairly high up....like top 30 if i remember correctly. BUT there was a lot of targets out 250-450 yards. he was hitting them with 1 round each. the BRM3G has most of the long range targets way out......i think 85-90% were past 200

but the above poster is correct, with close in hosing stages running a 308 against 223 may not be the best choice.

my above mentioned friend was running the bushnell 1x8.5x24. i am going to follow his lead and buy the 1x6.5x24 bushy for my scar 16......i just cant go the extra $700 bucks for the 1-8.5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the advice! I will be sure to check out that bushnell and maybe I will end up running my 5.56 instead. However if there are any more suggestions or advice please feel free to keep it coming! Any suggestions on good 1-4's or 1-6's you guys are using or have seen widely used in 3 gun?

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the OP's benefit we might want to let him know that he really doesn't need a $1000 + optic to get started. I always encourage beginners to run what they already have. I've seen some guys dump a bunch of money in gear and shoot a couple of matches and decide that, for a bunch of reasons, 3gun isn't for them. We probably shouldn't even mention, yet, what a good semi-auto shotgun and associated gear costs........ Like I said; it gets spendy really quick. On the other hand it's so much fun I hope to keep shooting 3gun for many years to come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate all the info! Kind of like Creekerdoug said, These are all great optics and I will keep them in mind for the future however I don't think they are in my price range. Right now I am looking at spending around 4 to 6 hundred $$ and no more than a grand max. Are there any good suggestions on 3 gun optics in that price range and it looks like everyone is saying go with a 1-4 or 1-6. I was pointed in the direction of SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope And what I may end up doing as suggested is shoot a few matches with what I have now and talk to guys there. However no reason not to start researching now. Once again everything is much appreciated! ...Thoughts?

·
Registered
740 Posts
For the OP's benefit we might want to let him know that he really doesn't need a $1000 + optic to get started. I always encourage beginners to run what they already have........
good point. i run my 16 with the factory iron sights for 3 gun.......they are "free".

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yep. Shoot in heavy metal irons for a while. You might find you like it.

I personally shoot better with irons. But I'm weird.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Leupy Mark6 1-6 offers a sweet 7.62nato bdc reticle. You might want to check it out.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts