FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are some .308 loads that make a lot of muzzle flash with the SCAR 17S?

I had heard PMC makes a lot of flash, but so far I havent noticed any flash at all with it.

Id like to see if I can get some photos of a big .308 flash, just for fun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some pretty decent sized flashes in this vid from Iraqveteran8888.

0:17 - 0:23

No idea what type of ammo is being used though.

·
Vendor
1,764 Posts
You want the slowest burning powder you can find (assuming you are willing to reload), so the powder is not completely burned by the time the bullet exits the muzzle. Or else blanks, where the absence of backpressure makes the powder burn slower.

If you google 'powder burn rate' you get several hits that list fastest to slowest powders, then you need to start digging around to find loads for 308 using those powders.

Easiest way to photograph it is to do it at dusk, and then set your camera to a small aperture, so you need a 1 second exposure (maybe 1/2 sec if you are coordinated), so you can push the button, then shoot before the shutter closes.
The other way is to go even darker, and use a Bulb exposure. Shoot while the shutter is open, and then manyally pop a flash before closing the shutter. You'll have to experiment with the aperture opening or sensitivity to get the muzzle blast at the right brightness, and then play with either the flash power setting of the distance between the flash and the people, so they are illuminated appropriartely as well.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You just need the right camera....

ThermalShoot2M.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You want the slowest burning powder you can find (assuming you are willing to reload), so the powder is not completely burned by the time the bullet exits the muzzle. Or else blanks, where the absence of backpressure makes the powder burn slower.

If you google 'powder burn rate' you get several hits that list fastest to slowest powders, then you need to start digging around to find loads for 308 using those powders.

Easiest way to photograph it is to do it at dusk, and then set your camera to a small aperture, so you need a 1 second exposure (maybe 1/2 sec if you are coordinated), so you can push the button, then shoot before the shutter closes.
The other way is to go even darker, and use a Bulb exposure. Shoot while the shutter is open, and then manyally pop a flash before closing the shutter. You'll have to experiment with the aperture opening or sensitivity to get the muzzle blast at the right brightness, and then play with either the flash power setting of the distance between the flash and the people, so they are illuminated appropriartely as well.
Thanks for the response, that option is kind of off-limits for me though since I'm not a reloader.

It does seem like there are some good factory 308 loads out there that produce plenty of muzzle flash, I just can't figure out which ones they are.

In the above video at 0:17 - 0:23 there were some pretty decent sized flashes. I gave Iraqveteran8888 a phone call on his Youtube hotline but he is apparently unavailable until Thursday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts