FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
Been a while since I've been able to post in here but was wondering what anyone thought about the Hornady Hot Tub and throwing their 17S in there? They have a cool demo of it
Say's that it'll fit a normal AR15 upper. If you have another sonic cleaner recommendation, feel free to chime in. I've got a P220S that's got a compensator that requires a proper sonic cleaning every so often so I'm really looking at how feasible it is to buy one of these silly things.

Cheers!
~Ace~

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks pretty sweet!:new3_sign_goodidea: Plus it is multi-purpose. I will have to look into it. If anybody else has it. Please do let us know how you like it. Pros/Cons.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Play soft music and put in some rose petals and it will be OK....♡

I got a problem with dropping my gun in liquid and leaving it, but that is just me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok so I just have to ask>>>>>why would you fee the need to do this? The SCAR just doesn't get that dirty and it runs and runs with minimal maintenance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I just have to ask>>>>>why would you fee the need to do this? The SCAR just doesn't get that dirty and it runs and runs with minimal maintenance.
Like mentioned above... "I've got a P220S that's got a compensator that requires a proper sonic cleaning every so often" since the comp gets really gummed up. I figure if I'm going to get one, I might as well just get something big enough to put anything in and just makes cleaning easier all around :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I know a lot of guys on suppressor forums do not recommend putting aluminum suppressors in ultrasonic cleaners, would dropping the 17S upper in one be any different. Not really sure I'd be willing to chance a $3,000 rifle when a normal cleaning is so easy and totally safe.

i have used my small ultrasonic cleaner to clean some of my stainless revolvers and that worked fine, just don't think aluminum is a safe metal in them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know a lot of guys on suppressor forums do not recommend putting aluminum suppressors in ultrasonic cleaners, would dropping the 17S upper in one be any different. Not really sure I'd be willing to chance a $3,000 rifle when a normal cleaning is so easy and totally safe.

i have used my small ultrasonic cleaner to clean some of my stainless revolvers and that worked fine, just don't think aluminum is a safe metal in them.

I agree.... take the comp off and clean it separately.... the solvents on the aluminum is one thing but you will also be using the solvents and vibration on the thread locker that is holding everything together....if you break that down even a little, the SCAR 17 has enough recoil to vibrate almost any screw loose over time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I think what I'm going to do here is just buy a smaller cleaner... but not the one from Harbor Freight...which is a POS! It ruined the finish on my compensator and Sig had to re-plate it! haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yea, I think what I'm going to do here is just buy a smaller cleaner... but not the one from Harbor Freight...which is a POS! It ruined the finish on my compensator and Sig had to re-plate it! haha
That more than likely would have been the cleaning solution and not the ultra sonic. Unless you had it sitting on the floor of the ultra sonic, you really need to have the parts suspended.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would think the sonic cleaner would be a great way to clean the bolt, guide rod, spring and any other metal parts. Wouldn't put the whole upper in tho.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey all!
Been a while since I've been able to post in here but was wondering what anyone thought about the Hornady Hot Tub and throwing their 17S in there? Say's that it'll fit a normal AR15 upper. If you have another sonic cleaner recommendation, feel free to chime in. I've got a P220S that's got a compensator that requires a proper sonic cleaning every so often so I'm really looking at how feasible it is to buy one of these silly things.

Cheers!
~Ace~
Sonic Cleaner - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

"How do I know if my Sonic Cleaner is working properly?

Place a piece of aluminum measuring approximately 4” x 4” in the cleaning solution, and turn the machine on for a 480-second cycle. If the Sonic Cleaner is working properly, the center of the foil should be wrinkled, and will possibly include small pinholes."

This is why it is recommended that a sonic cleaner NOT be used on aluminum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, it could very well be the solution that was used on it. Oddly enough, by using toothpaste I was able to help get rid of some of the discolorations that the sonic cleaner made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts