FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've narrowed down my choice to a Vortex Viper PST with an ADM Delta mount (FDE of course), but my only problem is that I keep going back and forth between the 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA or the 2.5-10x32 EBR-1MOA. I mainly shoot at 100yds however my local gun range does have a 600yd range also, but I have yet to migrate over to that yet. I am open to others perspectives in regards to these two options.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am going to go with the 2.5-10. I too don't shoot very far when I go out to the desert (lots of brush cant get a clear sight picture at long distance) but have started going to a outdoor range recently that has steel out to 600m. I have a vortex diamondback right now its a 4-12 and I realized on 10 power it is perfect for that distance and further. and 2.5 is great for around 100 yards and that small diameter I believe makes it so you can keep both eyes open while shooting closer in, which is very cool. it is an extremely popular optic with the 17 (as well as the nightforce 2.5-10x32). I am sure others can chime in that own it. for me, a 1-4 is just not enough, especially on a 17 that is just begging to prove that the lightweight, skinny barrel, and low recoiling scar 17s are extremely accurate and capable of awesome shooting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 in their quick release mount on my 17s. I love it. 16 power is fine at 100 yds. you don't need a spotting scope to see where you hit. PSTs are fine scopes, I've the 1-4 with the TMCQ reticule on a 300 blk. AR, I don't think it would be a good match for a 7.62 NATO rifle, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A 1x-10x scope might give you more of that flexibility you seem to be looking for.

Reactions: cev103

·
Registered
31 Posts
I share your POV. I however went with the Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP MRAD with the ADM mount. Why? I shoot mainly 100m at my closest range and for convenience only. But I enjoy the ability to reach out to 300m etc. and still be able to deliver knock down accuracy. I do also have a 45 degree T1 for closer entertainment. Lol. That's all. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with what's been said in the previous posts. I'd go with the 2.5-10x just in case there's that one day you want to stretch out to 600. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Another vote for the 2.5-10, for the the same reasons as above. Believe the Vortex 2.5-10 32 is FFP too for added value IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dropped a Burris 1-4 M-Tac on mine. added the PEPR quick release mount with smooth rings. It the perfect CQB out to 600 yards optic. If I ever have a need to shoot out past that I can always mount something with more reach on there but like you 99% of the shooting I do is well within 100 yards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just put a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 on my 17... started with an ADM mount (branded as the Vortex mount) that was absolute co-witness. Just ordered the ADM AD-RECON with 20MOA built-in. This combo should allow me to zero in at 100 or 200 yards and give me the room to reach out well over 800 yards. The 10x is sufficient for these long distances and the 2.5x is good for the close-range stuff. Also, recommend the quick-release mounts... Pops on and off without losing zero.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd go 1-4x (and did) or 1-6x. I wanted optics for 0-600 yards, knowing the majority of my shooting would be around 100.

There will be a compromise at either the shortest or longest range, no matter what you pick. I can get along with a scope that is a little underpowered at longer distances better than one that's overpowered at short distances.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this the one were talking about? I'm just about to get into optics on mine and really hope to get in under $1000. Which reticle do y'all suggest. MRAD or MOA? What's the easy description of the differences in reticles? I'd like the 10 power option as far as this discussion goes in this thread.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA)

thanks much
Yes, that's the one I'm looking at. I was planning on going MOA, military uses MRAD (both reticles allow you to calculate distance with doing an equation, but through different methods).......but someone on hear should be able to explain it far better than I can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I weighed the same choices and ended up going with the the 2.5-10x32 MRAD and really dig it. The only reason I would go with the 1-4 is if you shoot (or are planning to shoot) a bunch at 1x or are really concerned about weight (cost is always in there too, obviously). I would get the one that will work for you in the future, but only if it doesn't handicap your current shooting.

The 2.5-10 is great to shoot from 50 to 800 yards, the 1-4 is great for 0-300 (ish) yards. The 1-4 would have been great for what I was currently shooting (100 yards or so), but not for the longer range shooting that I hoped to get into. The 2.5-10 would work great for the longer stuff, but also wouldn't hinder me with my current shooting if I ended up not going the long range route. I've attached a pic of it so you can see what the setup looks like.
Mods are as follows if you're curious:

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 with MRAD reticle and anti-cant in an ADM Delta mount
Geissele Super Scar trigger
MI SSR Rail
MI low profile front sight (have since installed Diamondhead D-45 flip out sights that I can use with the scope still mounted)
IWC Charging handle
Atlas bipod w/QD mount (Thank you Sarge!)
Magpul MIAD grip (modified trigger pack and grip to fit)
Magpul rail mounted QD socket (front)
GG&G QD Socket (rear of reciever)
Noveske flush mount QD socket in rear of stock (Very easy & clean install btw, there's a little ledge inside the stock that almost seems made for it)
Ares Armor Husky MK II EWS sling
BCM 7.62 Comp
BCM Mini foregrip
*sigh*...Raddlock anti-fun device and I modified the stock latch to prevent it from folding unless a hex nut is screwed in.

SCAR 1.jpg SCAR 2.jpg SCAR 3.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this the one were talking about? I'm just about to get into optics on mine and really hope to get in under $1000. Which reticle do y'all suggest. MRAD or MOA? What's the easy description of the differences in reticles? I'd like the 10 power option as far as this discussion goes in this thread.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA)

thanks much
I went with the x44 (second focal plane)... a few less $$'s and I don't mind doing a little more math when calculating the MOA adjustment for different distances/different magnifications...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts