FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just adding more to my SCAR encyclopedia of differences between models (here's the first one: Mk1 vs. Mk2 Minor Barrel Differences)

Some weeks ago I bought some new OEM 7.62 mags, and upon removal from the packaging, I noticed they were different than the mags I had gotten previously. Here is brief collage of the immediate differences I noted. In summary, it seems the SCAR 17 are the "Gen 1" SCAR mags and the SCAR 17S mags are "Gen 2". This is just a guess.

There is also a "blue" (in colour) mag that I assume is a discoloured 17 mag. It's easily discernible in high and low light. It's less reflective than the 17, but more reflective than the 17S. It's more "blue" (again, in colour) and than the 17 mags. No differences that I can tell from the 17 mag. Pretty sure, it's just a discolored 17. Looks cool. For those of you that have old 17 mags, let me know if yours look like it.

*all mags were new

FNH USA SCAR 17
20-Round Magazine
Product Number (PN): 98892
  • Bluish Black
  • Glossy/Reflective
  • No Body Inscriptions (such as PN's)
  • Follower reads "7.62 MM"
  • Small Spot Welds
  • Mine are rattly
FNH USA SCAR 17S
20-Round Magazine
Product Number (PN): 98892
*note~ no change in product number
  • Black
  • Matte/Not Reflective
  • Numbers (not PN) printed on SCAR Left Side
  • Follower reads "7.62 MM NATO"
  • Big Spot Welds
  • Some difference in base pad construction
  • Mine are not rattly
Material property Font Gadget Rectangle Electric blue

Rectangle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Grille

Product Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive tire Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

White Air gun Trigger Black Machine gun

Rectangle Bumper Grey Road surface Font

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I can tell you this much, I don’t know about 17 versus 17S magazine but there are at least three manufacturers involved and they’re all slightly different. There’s the Belgian made mags (either by FN or a European subcontractor), there’s the US made by D&H as shown by the CAGE code on the body of the mag and the current one no longer has the D&H CAGE code. The current one could be another USA subcontractor or it could be Belgian made again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I never noticed it, going to check my mags. I have around 9 bought them at different times some are still in boxes. I got something to look forward to this weekend. And maybe take it to the range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The "blue" mag is a Gen 1 Belgian mag with a short "nose" on the mag stop... the "17" mag is a Gen 2 Belgian mag with a longer "nose" on the mag stop. It appears that the the short nose had a cracking issue so FN modded the mag stamping tool to make the nose longer to eliminate cracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts