• Bushing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bull barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bushing. No real reason why, I just do. That and the fact you can't use a GI guide rod with a bull barrel, you have to have a FLGR.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, I find the bull barrel easier to take apart.

Throw a tiny piece of a paperclip in the hole in the guiderod, and everything comes apart so easily.

·
Registered
178 Posts

On bull barrels there is no bushing around the guide rod and barrel as shown in the above picture.

Here's an example of one with a bushing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a series 80 Colt Combat Commander (with Bushing), and a series 80 Colt Stainless steel Defender (bushingless). I grow up in the service with the government .45 which all have bushings. My only concern, or thought on the issue is the friction the barrel has on the slide on a bushingless one. It's alot cheaper to replace a bushing than the entire upper receiver. The only reason I finely bought the defender was because it was stainless steel rather than high carbon steel.

IMO the bushingless pistol is more difficult to take apart than the one with the bushing. I can take apart and put togeather the combat commander one handed. I can't with the defender.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Springfield 1911 Defender PDP for many years - I ended up selling it 2-3 years ago, because until recently - if I wanted a new gun, I pretty much had to sell one to have money to buy another.

I think it is the only gun I have sold that I sort of regret. But anyway - it had a carry comp on it, and it used a bull barrel. And to me, it was always easier to disassemble, and have the spring held captive on the guiderod while disassembling...

But, we all have our preferences I guess :?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ship, I can't believe you sold that tricked out 1911. Thats a nice weapon. Back in the 80's when everone in the service was going to the M9 pistol, MEU(SOC) stuck with the 1911's for CQB. I think the springfield was what they used. Now that they have become MARSOC they contracted with Kimber to custom make their 1911.

Here's a pic of what they use today. (Note the barrel bushing)

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Kimber1911,,00.html

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use barrel bushing then the frame is not worn.....Unlike the use of a bull barrel IMO if you shoot a few thousand rounds with that bull barrel you will see the wear on the gun that you would not see with the barrel bushing...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I said why above - I had the same guns for many years and wanted new stuff. We didn't have the money to buy guns - and my wife isn't a gun fan. If I wanted something new, I had to sell a gun to buy another one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
abpt1 said:
I use barrel bushing then the frame is not worn.....Unlike the use of a bull barrel IMO if you shoot a few thousand rounds with that bull barrel you will see the wear on the gun that you would not see with the barrel bushing...
I'd say frame wear would depend upon the quality of construction. I haven't kept an exact count, but have put roughly 1300-1500 rounds through my Kimber with the original owner putting another 500 through. No visible wear on the frame or barrel where they meet; there is from frame wear from holstering.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before I bought my PS90 - I did some asking on the 1911 forums - I almost bought a Nighthawk 1911 instead. The consensus among the 1911 experts was that the bull barrel would last just as long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts