FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Rock Island has 1911 in 9mm? Also do you know the home page for Rock Island?

Thanks so much,
CT

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I've never heard of a 9mm RIA before.

I did a google search for U, and only found the website of their parent company - Armscore. I don't see a site for RIA coming up anywhere. Usually, a company's site comes up 1st on Google.

Try the 1911 site - they may be more able to help U.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who has a nice 1911 in 9mm? Is their such a weapon made? Is their a double stack available?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Para Ordinance sells double stack 9mm models. Kimber makes some, but they are only made in limited #'s. Springfield just came out with a mini 9mm 1911 called the EMP. But, those are around $1k.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I knew Kimber and Para did, and I knew about the price! :shock: That is why I didn't know if RIA did or some other decent mfg. made one cheaper. I really want 9 cause .45 are killing me in price. I like to shoot and with gas nearing 3.25 bucks a gallon I need something cheaper to shoot. Oh well, unless I can find something used I'll just have to shoot less! :cry:

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Go buy U a Walther P99 with the A/S trigger. I swear - I shoot that gun just as well or better than a +$1000 1911. I gave up on buying expensive 1911s after I found this gun. I figured - what's the point...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who here has a 1911 in 9mm? What kind is it? How much do you shoot? Do you like it? What do you like/dislike about it? Would you recommend it? I know my way around 1911's. Always had .45's. I'm aware of the weight. I don't pack so not a big deal. Just give me the low down on yours.

Thanks so much,
CT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you thought about getting .22 conversion kit? If all you're looking for is a cheap round for target practice, it's a great way to have your 45 and a .22 for cheap shooting. I know kimber has a conversion kit for their 45, and I believe AA has one also.

I heard way back in '04 that RIA was looking into making a .22 conversion kit, but since I got my Kimber, I stopped checking to see if it ever came out...a search on google might bring up results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sort of qualify as owning a 9mm 1911 type Gov't model. Though I don't own any factory produced 9mm 1911s, I do own a Colt .38 Super Gov't model, and a Commander. I have a 9mm barrel, and magazines, for both.

Both work quite well in 9mm configuration. I do not recommend this conversion for serious use, because the .38 Super ejector is shorter than the 9mm ejector. However, in firing many 9mm rounds, I have experienced no malfunctions.

Rock Island Armory, if I am not mistaken, produces a .38 Super model. .38 Super magazines work fairly well with 9mm ball, though I have not tried them with hollowpoints, and would want a 9mm magazine if reliability were an issue. Possibly, a slightly weaker recoil spring might also be needed. Buying a RIA .38 Super and a 9mm barrel, (and possibly bushing, recoil spring, and magazines), would be the cheapest way to get a new 9mm Gov't model clone.

9mm out of a Gov't model pistol is an extremely mild mannered combination. Furthermore, the 9mm seems to be a tad bit more accurate than the .38 Super. Most any 9mm load shoots well out of my pistol, where as the .38 Super gets a trifle picky.

·
Registered
395 Posts
iT JUST SO HAPPENS....

The store I work part time at has a FANTASTIC 9mm 1911 pistol made by STI.. The quality is incredible, and obvious. It has perhaps THE best trigger I've ever felt on a factory gun, and I've dropped the hammer on hundreds of Kimbers and other high-end pistols over the last 15 years...

I wasn't too familiar with them until I saw this one. It's a thing of beauty. But not cheap. It's been fired a hundred rounds, and is still priced around $700 used. But, again, it's a thing of beauty!

Hey Chicago, don't forget to let me know if you decide to sell your Walther P22. I'm looking for one with a threaded barrel. I work at a shop where it could be sent to etc etc..

Tell ta what, I have to work tomorrow. I'll take my digital camera in a snap a couple pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I doubt you'll find anyone here with one. They are fairly rare.
Yee, of such little faith....

:cool:

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I wouldn't mind another Beretta one day - If I get one, it will be an Inox 92fS - the finish holds up better on the barrel.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just sold a new in box Italian 92 today for $499 plus tax.

They do feel nice!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is a shot of the STI Ranger II we have in the store...

It's got an awesome trigger, and is obviosly quality...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yea, I hadn't really heard much about STI.

But that thing is damn nice.

Notice how thick the barrel is. The trigger is superb. Very nice fit and finish all the way around.

Not cheap though. He's got it priced at $799, and it retails around $1k...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts