FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You're kidding right? The gun was used in a robbery in California.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Even so which technically is beside the point sadly, cant trump up charges despite the Crime! Tomorrow will be somebody at the Range! It can be on the gun legally as long as not shoulder fired! Just having o gun is/was Legal!

Thoughts anybody?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I imagine the robbers shouldered the ar during the robbery. The situation is not the same as one of us going to the range and using the sig brace as designed.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote!
but instead of simply being charged with the usual weapons related felonies the California police decided to tack on the charge of “possession of a short barreled rifle!
Quote!

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
This is a BS title for this thread. It is inaccurate iinformation. I saw no place in the article about the Sig brace being used from the shoulder.

He was charged for possession of a SBR (he is also a felon) in CA which has always tended to file as many charges against anyone that they can just to make the news. Unless someone actually saw him use the Sig brace improperly, this charge will probably be dismissed.

So where did you get the "not even shouldering it" from?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
We don't truly know if the gun is registered as a pistol or Rifle. The topic of this thread is misleading... The gun was used in a commission of a crime.

Reactions: IGC224

·
Vendor
1,863 Posts
The other thing people here are missing, and they said it in the article, is that the SBR charge was a CALIFORNIA charge, not a Federal one. Just because the ATF says something is legal does not mean the individual states agree. Look at New York.

The ATF has ruled on the SIG brace from a Federal perspective. THis guy was charged with breaking a California law. Apples and Oranges.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Despite the BATF undated letter which came out today, in it there is no violation simply having Brace on pistol, but once shouldered and fired then it is a SBR Violation!

I hate Crooks more than anybody but to add 10 yrs. mandatory because of the Brace which is legal to be on pistol as long as not shouldered sets a very bad precedent!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
There is too much missing from this article to have a proper discussion.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pretty sure I've said this in previous threads but once again I'll say that I'm really glad I didn't rely on ATF's opinion of the moment to justify the purchase of a SIG arm brace for the shouldering of an AR "pistol." As retarded as it is to have to go through the NFA process, it was worthwhile to go the trust route while ATF dicked around with ATF 41P prior to final implementation

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok there Chester, looks like this might be the test Case about legalities of owning/having a Sig Brace and not shouldering it!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Why was the thread on the open letter for the ATF that was released today locked so fast? Until today all the ATF letters were up for interpretation. That is no longer the case. That news can affect a lot of forum members.

On an unrelated note:
My trunk monkey is losing his side folding tail tomorrow. :lol:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why was the thread on the open letter for the ATF that was released today locked so fast? Until today all the ATF letters were up for interpretation. That is no longer the case. That news can affect a lot of forum members.
Quote!

I wondered that also since I had posted it to keep some of U Heathens from becoming Felons and having to do a 10 yr stretch in Club Fed, wearing Soap on a Rope!

·
Banned
124 Posts
Maybe it was a duplicate thread or possibly the legitimacy of the letter may be in question.:th_shrug:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Surely soon some Fool will post a vid showing his Brace and shooting it and the rest will go down in BATF History! Hey Lester how about doing a "Instructional Vid on shooting with the Brace"!:th_sign0098::-D:lol:

PS. Make sure to put todays date on it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
It wasn't a duplicate thread, I checked and wondered the same thing. Nobody argued the validity of the letter, which was POSTED on the ATF website. It's kinda a big deal, not just for the brace users, but for future rulings. If one shouldered a buffer, does that constiitute an sbr because of utilizing it differently than designed?

Edit: potato spelling....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts