FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get to the range today and put 201 rounds (one WWB 100 pack had 101 rounds) through my FNP-9. It was my first time shooting it, and I am also new at shooting handguns. As I previously stated, I was using WWB, which left the front of my gun pretty dirty (what do you guys use to clean the polymer?) I have the FDE, so it is quite noticeable. I was only hit in the face (on the lips) once, and that was a last round.

For those more experienced then me, I was consistently left and usually high as well. I tried a different grip (more of a competition target grip) and put 2 rounds in the X, then went back to the standard grip and started going left and high (about 3" left and 2" high). I rotated my support hand (left) forward a bit and was doing somewhat better. I noticed I had to adjust my grip a fair amount to shoot better as well. I also cut the tip of my trigger finger, which was bugging me a bit, but I doubt that effected much.

Overall, the groupings I had were pretty good with a few everynow and then that were way left, high, or right (I was catching myself expecting the recoil and twitched a couple of times due to it, which explains poor shots). Like I said, this was really my first time shooting a handgun (previosly only fired a few rounds from friends guns), so overall I was pleased with the weapon and somewhat pleased with myself (being it my first time and all). Any suggestions would be appreciated on how I can shoot better :?

·
Registered
873 Posts
First off, congrats on your FNP purchase.

Now, as to the fouling on the muzzle area. The WWB is kinda on the dirty side, but it does work very well. I just use a patch lighly soaked in bore solvent and wipe the weapon off. Then dry it with a paper towel right away. The polymer is actually pretty tough stuff.

It sounds like you already have the answer to your accuracy question sir.
If the "target" grip works best, then use it. I would also add the old adage that practice makes perfect. After about 500 rounds down the pipe you will start to settle in with your FNP.

You seem to have an analytical approach so you are half way there!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Heck, just use Breakfree CLP - it cleans, and is a lubricant. It works for both. Just put some on a patch, wipe it down, and then keep an old rag for gun cleaning, and use that to wipe the gun off. Problem solved (for the outside - U still need to clean the barrel and rails, etc)

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I am a bit analytical (I'm a senior biochem major, so all the lab time probably has a bit to do with that). I'll probably be putting another 400-600 rounds through it Friday at my friends uncle's place (depending on whether or not he can get off of work). He has a standard range for pistols and rifles, along with bowling pins and chickens on a wall. We'll probably also do some trap shooting as well. This place is almost like a professional range (minus the fee :D )

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One thing I recently discovered. CLP is not great at cleaning bore fouling at all. It's good for external and internal moving parts, but for the bore I recommend something that will take care of carbon and copper fouling more effectively. I just tried one called bore tech eliminator and from the looks of my patches it does a heck of a job on the copper fouling. I've also heard KG-12 does an excellent job on copper as well. After using CLP for awhile, I think I'm going back to my trusted OIF friend Militec-1. People poo poo it all the time, but it never let me or the squad down in the dust of the middle east. It penetrates the metal and continues to lubricate better as the weapon gets hotter. Makes the finish look nice.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Try a Hogue Handall on your FNP9 and see if your shooting improves. It should improve, I put a Hogue Handall on my HK USP 9 and FNP40 and have seen great results. The Handall costs less than $12 from what I've seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts