FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a temporary solution while I figured out what sling mounts would work best for me. While surfing the internet for DIY zipper pull pictures I hand an epiphany. I've made all kinds of slings from parts of slings in the past, so this wouldn't be too far of a stretch for me. Instead of using my usual gas mask bag strap, 2 qt canteen strap, issued M16 slings, and whatever else I can piece together...I used a Padded Blue Force Gear VCAS sling that I had laying around. I coupled that with some heat shrink tubing that I picked up at Harbor Freight Tools and a stretch of paracord I had in my bag.

Enough talk...Here's the pics:

My zipper pulls were getting fuzzy and salvaged for on the go fixes, so I replaced those as well.

Here's what I used:

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but it seems like a good solution for now. It held up for today's trip out walking the property with my dogs. The zipper pulls are great as well. I couldn't ask for any better and it only cost me two bucks and some time.

Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There is a sling thread that has the paracord mod.
-Someone will chime in with the link in time.

If memory serves correct, it was roasted in a run and gun weekend shoot.

There are super jobs done with QD from vedors.

2 pt to 1 pt slings are very popular and may snag your dollar in the end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a sling thread that has the paracord mod.
-Someone will chime in with the link in time.

If memory serves correct, it was roasted in a run and gun weekend shoot.

There are super jobs done with QD from vedors.

2 pt to 1 pt slings are very popular and may snag your dollar in the end.
I saw a few posts like this when using the search function, however I didn't see anything about how it fared over the test of time and use. I think this takes the previous paracord mod and gives it a more finished look. I have no doubt that it could wear through the paracord over a prolonged period of time, however it's cheap and easy to replace whenever needed. PMM's rear mount with a Fortis RAP mounted on the bottom of the rail closest to the receiver is what I'll probably ultimately end up with.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I saw a few posts like this when using the search function, however I didn't see anything about how it fared over the test of time and use. I think this takes the previous paracord mod and gives it a more finished look. I have no doubt that it could wear through the paracord over a prolonged period of time, however it's cheap and easy to replace whenever needed. PMM's rear mount with a Fortis RAP mounted on the bottom of the rail closest to the receiver is what I'll probably ultimately end up with.
You might also check into Impact Weapons Components and their 45deg Offset rail mount for the bottom QD you mentioned. It is the flattest, lowest profile sling mount I've ever found and the quality is A++. I Love their products.
IMG_1807.JPG IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1812.JPG 1 IMG_6991.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might also check into Impact Weapons Components and their 45deg Offset rail mount for the bottom QD you mentioned. It is the flattest, lowest profile sling mount I've ever found and the quality is A++. I Love their products.
That angled one would put it at an odd angle for mounting it on the spot I mentioned earlier. However, IWC does have some awesome mounting solutions of which I'm now considering vs the PMM. Still undecided, though if I were to get one from IWC, it would be this one:
Impact Weapons Components

·
Vendor
1,763 Posts
Nice Field Expedient solution. The add I'd toss in is to get a split keyring to put between your paracord and the slingmount on the rifle. I think these are $0.79 at a hardware store, so it ups your invenstment from $2 to $2.79. However, it both allows you to attach/dis-attach the sling without having to untie it and cut off the shrink tube, and it also insulates the paracord from the barrel which might get hot.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That angled one would put it at an odd angle for mounting it on the spot I mentioned earlier. However, IWC does have some awesome mounting solutions of which I'm now considering vs the PMM. Still undecided, though if I were to get one from IWC, it would be this one:
Impact Weapons Components
303 Stainless is what they're made out of - last a life time material right there. (I'm getting their rear attachment for the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts