FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have their 16 & 17 in one case? I've been looking for a hard case with foam in for my precious but i go back and forth between folded stocks and not folded stocks. I only need the rifles to fit with 16 EO-Tech and 17 Scope mounted no mags or cleaning stuff just the rifles. Can someone give some direction or a better perspective please? There is a lot of info on rifle cases but i've been searching and havent found what i'm looking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a pelican 1750 for mine and i believe you can fit two scars in there but i doubt they would fit in there with optics mounted. :th_002:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If you don't mind a soft case, both Drako and Voodoo (they are more or less products of exact same design and function) can hold a 16 and a 17 with their respective optics, accessories and then some. That said, I did remove the surefire m952 off of the 16 to make room but everything else had no trouble fitting. There are good sized side pockets that can hold multiple mags or compact pistols. Also there's another large compartment to the side that's enough to hold yet another SBR or bullpup rifle. Though if you fill the case to the brim it can get pretty heavy. But the stitchingS look heavy duty and shouldn't have any issue handling it. AFAIK Drako have both a single and dual rifle bag and voodoo only has the dual rifle bag. So be sure you have the right one if you are getting the Drako.

Here's what it looks like with a 16 and a 17 zipped up. Along with four 17 mags (could probably fit six) and you can see there's another compartment for another SBR or bullpup. Also have molle space for various mag pouches and what not.

What it looks like inside. The rifles are secured by two slots and velcro straps. There's a pad in between that does a good job of protecting the rifles from scratching up the other. You can see there are plenty of space for optics and accessories.

Also there are padded backstraps in the back so you can wear the case like a backpack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, the 1750 was my fall back i figured that thing would be huge and fit all. That sea-horse is priced really well but i wish i could physically see how they would fit and i dont want to take the sites off.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Can I ask what purpose do you have for this case? Because unless it's either for security since you don't have a safe (which is a separate issue) or airline / extended road travel, don't bother with a hard case.

I mean they LOOK cool but are heavy / bulky to cart around to the range, etc. I have a generic plano rifle case and Guncruizer pistol case which I bought for airline travel and it took me one trip to the range to figure it out that was all I'd use them for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This will fit two SCARS: Low Profile Arsenal Bag - Ares Armor. With the stocks folded, it fits a 17 and 16, plus 10 mags for each, a couple of pistols, and some other range gear. All pockets lock and it looks like just a sports equipment bag.

For hard cases, the only benefit is for airline travel as they just get in the way for everyone around you if you're using them to transport your guns to the range. You don't want to be the "yard sale" guy with stuff everywhere for someone to trip over. For airline travel, the bigger Pelican or Storm case work great. There's plenty of guys out there that cut some custom foam to hold two SCARs securely.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You don't want to be the "yard sale" guy with stuff everywhere for someone to trip over.
Yeah, we have a guy like that at our range. Shows up in a van, unloads 3-4 square pelican / storm cases, 3 rifle pelicans, and various other $hit. Spends 30 minutes unpacking, hammering targets together, clogging up the flow of people back and forth, and then unloads an SKS, AK-47, pistol grip Mossberg, and a couple of Glocks.

Dude has more money in Pelicans than guns.

I show up with a nondescript duffel bag (range bag) and a Drago bag or two, or maybe a standard soft sided hunting rifle bag. Easy peasy.

And, hard cases have their place but for 95% of people they aren't needed. I haven't used my Plano rifle or Guncruiser pistol case in at least 2 years. Glad I have them but they are low use items for me right now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ive got a big pelican hardcase for the few times we fly. it fits my scar17 one ar15 carbine savage10fcpsr a number of handguns suppressors ammo and optics.

just taking that monstrosity to the range would be ridiculous. i use condor rifle soft cases for this

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, we have a guy like that at our range. Shows up in a van, unloads 3-4 square pelican / storm cases, 3 rifle pelicans, and various other $hit. Spends 30 minutes unpacking, hammering targets together, clogging up the flow of people back and forth, and then unloads an SKS, AK-47, pistol grip Mossberg, and a couple of Glocks.

Dude has more money in Pelicans than guns.

I show up with a nondescript duffel bag (range bag) and a Drago bag or two, or maybe a standard soft sided hunting rifle bag. Easy peasy.

And, hard cases have their place but for 95% of people they aren't needed. I haven't used my Plano rifle or Guncruiser pistol case in at least 2 years. Glad I have them but they are low use items for me right now.
In the defense of hard cases - I'm sure you'd be just as likely to trip over all that gear if he used soft cases instead of the hard cases. The thing is, "that guy" is just inconsiderate of others and/or unorganized.

I do like to bring a few rifles w/optics and spotting scope+tripod to the range with me and shoot them all day; switching between them while the other cools down. But I never leave my gear laying around for people to trip over or even worse 'grab n go'. I do also like the added protection a hard case provides over a soft case. Depends on what you're carrying and to where.

ive got a big pelican hardcase for the few times we fly. it fits my scar17 one ar15 carbine savage10fcpsr a number of handguns suppressors ammo and optics.

just taking that monstrosity to the range would be ridiculous. i use condor rifle soft cases for this
Yea, the pelican 1750 is way too long. 1700 is more manageable but I don't think you are going to get away with two scars + mounted optics in there without breaking them down (leaving the scopes mounted).

OP,

They do make padded soft cases with a divider, you are going to want a divider! I could see two scars w/optics fitting in there, folded and facing each other on opposite sides of the divider.

Lay the rifles out in different rectangular patterns and pick one then measure, you now have the measurements you need for the soft/hard case.

·
Registered
609 Posts
In the defense of hard cases - I'm sure you'd be just as likely to trip over all that gear if he used soft cases instead of the hard cases. The thing is, "that guy" is just inconsiderate of others and/or unorganized.

I do like to bring a few rifles w/optics and spotting scope+tripod to the range with me and shoot them all day; switching between them while the other cools down. But I never leave my gear laying around for people to trip over or even worse 'grab n go'. I do also like the added protection a hard case provides over a soft case. Depends on what you're carrying and to where.

Yea, the pelican 1750 is way too long. 1700 is more manageable but I don't think you are going to get away with two scars + mounted optics in there without breaking them down (leaving the scopes mounted).

They do make padded soft cases with a divider, you are going to want a divider! I could see two scars w/optics fitting in there, folded and facing each other on opposite sides of the divider.

Lay the rifles out in different rectangular patterns and pick one then measure, you now have the measurements you need for the soft/hard case.
i do break everything down so it all fits. i have cut pieces of foam to fit around critical rub areas so nothing takes a huge hit in transit. the wife and avoid flying as much as possible since its either a bunch of plane changing out of milwaukee or go through chitcago and leave our guns at home...

last time we flew it was out of milwaukee and i had the suppressor attached to the scar a pair of m9 both with threaded barrels a ruger mk3 with suppressor attached ar15 and her savage. little lady at the security desk said it was the neatest collection she had seen all year :) passed us through jumped us right to the front of the security huge security line. heh

·
Banned
617 Posts
Hard shells with soft case inserts offer the best of both worlds. I'm using a Hardigg Storm IM3200, which is roughly the size of the Pelican 1720.

The MobileArmory FieldPak is from Eagle Industries, made from 1000d Cordura and built to last. It fits perfectly inside the case with enough room to squeeze in another.

The inside uses standard MOLLE webbing to attach items for storing cleaning supplies, tools, magazines, etc. It's extremely user configurable.

The case also has plenty of room, allowing me to store both a 16S and 17S (complete with accessories), which is ultimately why I'm sharing in this thread.

Without repeating what's already been said regarding the limited usefulness of hard shells, I'd also like to add some additional considerations to the use of foam in particular; Often a well thought out and precisely cut traditional Pelican case looks very elegant. However the task of achieving that perfection is not always easy, and once completed it leaves almost no flexibility for future alteration. Long term storage using foam is also unadvisable due to the absorption of moisture in the air causing corrosion on the encased weapon.

It's certainly not necessary to purchase a specifically tailored soft case for your exact hard shell such as the one above. Any that fit together will work - perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as a wire cut foam layout, but objectively much more practical.

·
Registered
161 Posts
View attachment 28776
A guy posted this for sale on my local gun forum. It is a sick custom case! Too bad he is smoking crack and asking 7 g's for all of it
I think there's one more Scar17s hiding under that case.

Long term storage using foam is also unadvisable due to the absorption of moisture in the air causing corrosion on the encased weapon.
That reminds me, I always leave a few desiccant packs in the hard cases.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Without repeating what's already been said regarding the limited usefulness of hard shells, I'd also like to add some additional considerations to the use of foam in particular; Often a well thought out and precisely cut traditional Pelican case looks very elegant. However the task of achieving that perfection is not always easy, and once completed it leaves almost no flexibility for future alteration. Long term storage using foam is also unadvisable due to the absorption of moisture in the air causing corrosion on the encased weapon.

i will second that. my case looks like someone upchucked foam in it. its all chopped up so i can fit any gun(s) in anyway i need to.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hard shells with soft case inserts offer the best of both worlds. I'm using a Hardigg Storm IM3200, which is roughly the size of the Pelican 1720.

The MobileArmory FieldPak is from Eagle Industries, made from 1000d Cordura and built to last. It fits perfectly inside the case with enough room to squeeze in another.

The inside uses standard MOLLE webbing to attach items for storing cleaning supplies, tools, magazines, etc. It's extremely user configurable.

The case also has plenty of room, allowing me to store both a 16S and 17S (complete with accessories), which is ultimately why I'm sharing in this thread.

It's certainly not necessary to purchase a specifically tailored soft case for your exact hard shell such as the one above. Any that fit together will work - perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as a wire cut foam layout, but objectively much more practical.
what a gorgeous pair you have there sir, well done!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Can I ask what purpose do you have for this case? Because unless it's either for security since you don't have a safe (which is a separate issue) or airline / extended road travel, don't bother with a hard case.

I mean they LOOK cool but are heavy / bulky to cart around to the range, etc. I have a generic plano rifle case and Guncruizer pistol case which I bought for airline travel and it took me one trip to the range to figure it out that was all I'd use them for.
Soft Cases For The Win!!

We recently had some flooding going on around a nearby lake so I was in my lair packing rifles in both hard and soft cases to carry upstairs and found that could sling three under each arm with the shoulder straps. I am lucky to carry 2 at a time in the Browning and Pelican cases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts