FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone loaded a 200g .30 projectile for .308 shooting? I was trying to work up a load with a heavy bullet for subsonic shooting. I have Sierra 200g projectiles that I mocked up a load for with an OL 0f 2.700" and it does not want to chamber in my Rem 700. Is this a bullet seating depth issue? Any concerns seating the bullet deeper with a light charge? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've run cast bullets that heavy but never jacketed stuff. Cast is usually a whole different ball game.

The biggest problem, and it's MUCH more of an issue with cast than jacketed, is seating depth. The base of the bullet has to extend below the neck and into the shoulder area. This is VERY bad juju for cast bullets and not the most practical of things even for jacketed bullets, but for subsonic applications you'll be just fine.

What powder are you planning on working with? Trail Boss [if you can find it!!!!!] is great for this. It's extremely bulky and gives you a better case fill for subsonic loads, reducing position sensitivity. I've done it with everything from the red/green/blue Dot, Unique, and even bullseye. Unique works VERY well and isn't position sensitive but leaves graphite deposits at low pressures some folks don't like. It's why some call it flaming dirt. I have never been bothered by it. A dry patch takes it right out and of all the things to be fouled with, graphite ain't really a problem. Not like it's abrasive or counterproductive in the lubrication department.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not been able to find any Trailboss. I do understand that is the preferred load. I was going to use Titegroup. The manufacturer has a recipe for 168g projectile using 8g. I was going to start with 10g and see what kind of velocities I was getting.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to step these down to an TOL of 2.650" to get them to allow the bolt to close. The original TOL was 2.800" (not 2.700" as stated in initial post). Any concerns with this or a tight fit into the barrel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of bullet is it? Match king or some kind of round nose soft point? If its an old style RNSP with a near full length full diameter and you have a short throat, you may be engaging the rifling. I wouldn't think a Match King would be so short though. What do I know.

As I said though, with your stated purpose, this ain't gonna be an issue. You working with a chronograph right? Keep adjusting the charge till you get what you need. Were you trying to get full pressure performance out of them though, I;d have to try to talk you out of it.

Another question. Are you planning on running these through a can? Be very mindful if so. Not saying it won't work, it probably will but depending on twist rate, stability may not be there. If you have a 12 twist like my FNFAR does, you would certainly risk a baffle strike. Shoot a few and look closely at your target. Look for uneven tearing on the paper. Even a LITTLE bit is indicative of instability. I may be overly paranoid but being overly paranoid usually ain't all that expensive. Now...a baffle strike on your new YHM Ti Phantom??? Yeah, that's pricey.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The projectiles are Game Kings. I was only going to shoot them subsonic out of this rifle. I am shooting through a chronograph. I was not going to attempt using a can until I had a lot of experience and practice with the desired load. All of your advice is excellent and well appreciated. Please keep it coming. This is a fun process.

·
Registered
50 Posts
THat's good you feel that way. You'll find results with that attitude. When the "Process" stops being "fun" walk away. I've thrown stuff across my shop in frustration and it ain't a good feeling.

Here's what "I WOULD DO" but I'm an assbackwards ******* and there are most definitely better methods. Fire one round of something that's standard pressure. Don't matter what, you just need a fore formed case. I use a Lee factory crimp die to ever so gently get a hair of resistance on the case mouth of the fired case, but not so much that you can't push the bullet in with your thumb. Seat the bullet long and gently chamber it so that the bullet engages the rifling and pushes itself back into the case. VERY gently extract it and don't drop it. Measure carefully and then subtract about .010 from the OAL. Next...will this fit in your magazine? If so, start the loading process.
I can't and won't give advice on Titegroup. Never done it and it is a VERY hot powder. Personally, I would try a different powder but that don't mean Titegroup won't work, I just have no experience with it.
I don't know how it will act though and it may be necessary to run a tuft a dacron to keep the powder in place if it's position sensitive. If you wanna use a filler, be consistent with not only how much, but the method of insertion. I don't like using a filler. It's aggravating.

Do you have anything any bulkier? Unique? Blue Dot? 2400 or even 4198 would probably do well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get around to shooting some 200g Sierra game king bullets loaded with Titegroup and Remington magnum primers. The 10g loads averaged 1345ft/s and the 9g loads ran 1255ft/s. They all grouped well and the load did not appear to be position sensitive. Hope to go back and test some 8.3, 8.5, 8.7 loads in the near future.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the chance to shoot some more today. Again running 200g Sierra game king projectiles with Remington magnum rifle primers, 8.7g of Titegroup 1105ft/s, 8.5g 1091ft/s. Shot seven rounds but only from a distance of 10 yards because I was mainly interested in the chrono numbers, but all the bullets went through almost the exact same hole. I am just glad to see that I can use Titegroup to load subsonic .308 and that it is not position sensitive or needed any filler. Again, I did have to take the TOL of these rounds down 2.65" to chamber in a Remington 700. Based on this, I would assume that you could use Titegroup for 300BO but I have not looked at any load data in the books on that round. My next step is to load some more 8.6g and 8.5g and chrono those while shooting out to greater distances mostly 25-75 yards (I think I had the factory subsonic loads dropping 16" at 100 yards). Once I get a look at how the round is flying, then I will try to shoot them with a suppressor.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loaded a batch of 200g Sierra Gamekings with Remington Magnum Rifle primers and 8.5g of Titegroup. Shot nicely and patterned well out to 100 yards with no key-holes. Both my son and I were able to ring a 10" steel plate consistently at 100 yards with about 14" of drop. Ran flawlessly through AAC 7.62 SDN can. Thought we may have appreciated a sonic "crack" on one or two of the rounds so we may load down to 8.3 grains and go back on the chronograph. But for all intents and purposes this load appears to work well and is not position sensitive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.