FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone loaded a 200g .30 projectile for .308 shooting? I was trying to work up a load with a heavy bullet for subsonic shooting. I have Sierra 200g projectiles that I mocked up a load for with an OL 0f 2.700" and it does not want to chamber in my Rem 700. Is this a bullet seating depth issue? Any concerns seating the bullet deeper with a light charge? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not been able to find any Trailboss. I do understand that is the preferred load. I was going to use Titegroup. The manufacturer has a recipe for 168g projectile using 8g. I was going to start with 10g and see what kind of velocities I was getting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to step these down to an TOL of 2.650" to get them to allow the bolt to close. The original TOL was 2.800" (not 2.700" as stated in initial post). Any concerns with this or a tight fit into the barrel?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The projectiles are Game Kings. I was only going to shoot them subsonic out of this rifle. I am shooting through a chronograph. I was not going to attempt using a can until I had a lot of experience and practice with the desired load. All of your advice is excellent and well appreciated. Please keep it coming. This is a fun process.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get around to shooting some 200g Sierra game king bullets loaded with Titegroup and Remington magnum primers. The 10g loads averaged 1345ft/s and the 9g loads ran 1255ft/s. They all grouped well and the load did not appear to be position sensitive. Hope to go back and test some 8.3, 8.5, 8.7 loads in the near future.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the chance to shoot some more today. Again running 200g Sierra game king projectiles with Remington magnum rifle primers, 8.7g of Titegroup 1105ft/s, 8.5g 1091ft/s. Shot seven rounds but only from a distance of 10 yards because I was mainly interested in the chrono numbers, but all the bullets went through almost the exact same hole. I am just glad to see that I can use Titegroup to load subsonic .308 and that it is not position sensitive or needed any filler. Again, I did have to take the TOL of these rounds down 2.65" to chamber in a Remington 700. Based on this, I would assume that you could use Titegroup for 300BO but I have not looked at any load data in the books on that round. My next step is to load some more 8.6g and 8.5g and chrono those while shooting out to greater distances mostly 25-75 yards (I think I had the factory subsonic loads dropping 16" at 100 yards). Once I get a look at how the round is flying, then I will try to shoot them with a suppressor.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loaded a batch of 200g Sierra Gamekings with Remington Magnum Rifle primers and 8.5g of Titegroup. Shot nicely and patterned well out to 100 yards with no key-holes. Both my son and I were able to ring a 10" steel plate consistently at 100 yards with about 14" of drop. Ran flawlessly through AAC 7.62 SDN can. Thought we may have appreciated a sonic "crack" on one or two of the rounds so we may load down to 8.3 grains and go back on the chronograph. But for all intents and purposes this load appears to work well and is not position sensitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts