FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the significance of 2012? I’ve seen a few posts around and I haven’t a clue to this mystery date. Can someone enlighten me? I’m a blank slate here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So why should we care about a civilization that didn't see their own destruction by Cordoba and was destroyed nearly 400 years ago? Is there more significance to this date than the end of a Mayan prediction? People really buy into this Stone Age civilization knowledge? I don’t understand, Maybe the calendar guru just thought if the Maya way of life was still around 400 years in the future some body would have I don’t know updated it or something buy then? Maybe pick up where he left off? I just thought there was more to this than than the end of a calender.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Actually its not the "end of the world" according to the Mayans but rather the end of a large cycle. Kind of like a clock, at the end it just resets to the begining.
A better translation would be "the end of an era".
The reason its important is the Mayan calender has predicted major events in time, both on Earth and in space.
That is why they are called the "time keepers".

IIRC the Mayans did predict the end of their "era".

The reason its important is because it means there are large changes coming, not the Earth is going to inplode or anything.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
There are also some astronomical events that are occuring in September 2012 I think. I've heard of all kinds of stuff like..

The Earths "wobble" of the poles will be at a certain point that they reach only every XXXX years, the planets will be lining up, the Earth will be nearest the center of the Milky Way, etc... :roll:

http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/Venus Transit.html

The world as we know it was suppose to end at the year 1000, 1984, Y2K, about 30 years ago when some of the planets lined up last time, when "Heavens Gate" folks thought a spaceship with Jesus in it was hiding behind a comet... and who knows how many other times. It ain't happnin'.

I have more concern about China, North Korea, or Iran doing something stupid and setting off the next world war. If that happens in 2012... hmmm.

TA

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
TQ is correct, as the Mayan calendar covers 52 years and 2012 ends that cycle.

OR, it could mean that all weapons bans are lifted, HK builds a manufacturing facility in the U.S. and all "prior" guns are worth 10X as much. :-D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hope it don't mean that we'll have been crying over Pres Hillary for four years. If that's the case I like the Mayan end of the world deal better. :cry:

·
Vendor
5,628 Posts
The history channel did a special on this. The Mayan calender was something like 30,000 years or so. can't remember exactly. There were many different cycles that would repeat over time. 2012 is the end of the entire 30,000 year cycle. Yes we will be in the center of our galaxy at this time. There is supposed to be a huge change/upheaval at this time.

I just found that the "Bible Codes" also pick 2012 to be the year an asteroid hits earth and virtually destroys it. The codes also say around this time there will be a nuclear war.

Coincidence??????? Mayans calender and the Bible???

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

Stay tuned folks...... we are soon to find out!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yea, I saw the thing on the History channel - Scarey stuff... Hopefully it isn't true. 99% of me believes it isn't - but that 1% makes ya wonder :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
M1P90 said:
Yes we will be in the center of our galaxy at this time.
Just incase someone is confused, yes we will be at the center of the galaxy if you look at the galaxy from a side view not the top view as most people do.
From the side view our planet/solar system goes in a sort of SINE/COSINE wave.
Don't confuse this as the round/clock like rotation from the top view.

·
Registered
83 Posts
solar system (and earth) passes to other side of galactic plane. Some theorize that there may be a magnetic pole shift when this occurs. I'm sure you can gather what would happen to the earth's surface if the magnetic poles shift. It's also the end of some big cycle on the Mayan calendar, and the end time according to some 4000 year old chinese fortune telling book. The only book that doesn't say it's the end is the Bible, unless week really means week and not year, in which case the antichrist will sign a peace treaty with Israel in early 2012.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The magnetic poles have shifted before - and I have seen tv shows on it - it seems that we are about to have a switch. Not sure if there will be any danger to us in the process, however. It didn't seem like there would be from what I saw on tv before.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The magnetic pole of the earth is always moving, and IIRC has moved about 50 miles off the earths axis since man has been keeping track of it. Also IIRC the "rock record" shows the pole has flipped several times in the earth's history.

It is funny to me that a new animal species like, homo sapiens, has any thought or bearing on the end of the earth or universe. We are vain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen both specials. The "Long Count" Mayan calendar will change over in 2012, which the Mayans, for some bizare reason, couldn't figure out what was beyond it. There was also references to astronomical cataclysms, asteroids or some such. According to the show, the Mayan calendar has predicted the more serious events of the past 2000 years, as each 52 year cycle has certain characteristics to it. Some say famine, some say war, some say rebirth, etc. It's kinda generic, sorta like John Edwards(psychic) scamming people into thinking he's speaking to the dead, but strangely fits history. That's the creepy part. I've wondered if Hillary gets elected and starts WWIII in 2012.
I've seen the one on magnetic shifts. It was interesting. The gist of it was, there have been numerous mag-shifts throughout geologic history, measured by drilling holes or such. It seems to happen in pockets at first, then every 600 years or such, the whole manetic field of the Earth flips for another 600. During the inter-phase time, more solar radiation gets through, the Aurora Borealis is visible further south, and sun-related cancers increase.
I was intrigued as to whether one of these pockets is what the Bermuda triangle was all about. That would explain why it seems to have faded in the past 30 years or so, but that's just wishful thinking.
The important thing we need to wonder about is whether such a shift would severely affect motors (making them run backwards, if even for moment), and navigation devices. What in our society is not dependant upon magnets?
Oh, and we are also waaay past due for the shift.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Fn_ps90 said:
Needless to say, there will be another panic, just like y2k.
I'm just trying to figure out how to make a buck off of it. :-D I'm sure there will be tons of tshirts, bumper stickers, and koozies, for sale.

"I survived 2012 and all I got was this lousy tshirt"

Someone will name an album 2012. There will be huge New Years parties...

There has to be some way to make a buck off of this. Maybe stang1 will offer a 2012 cammo pattern and Vestguy can make a 2012 vest. :lol:

Me? I have no skills... :cry:

TA

·
Registered
83 Posts
how about a tin foil hat with a couple of magnets on either side of the temples to protect your noggin from solar radiation?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Orbital said:
how about a tin foil hat with a couple of magnets on either side of the temples to protect your noggin from solar radiation?
And for more money you could have the optional grounding strap! For just $20 dollars more you could choose your color!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts