FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there changed out the 20s flash hider yet? Any tips on removing? I'm assuming it has a ton of Rocksett on it... Planning on running a 51T Battlecomp (with the KBA Ring of course) for my AAC SDN6. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve removed all mine 16,17 and 17s and replaced them with Surefire Warcomps. Apply heat using a heat gun , use a reaction rod and they all came off with ease

·
Registered
115 Posts
Damn... I used a heat gun and no luck in removing the factory flash hider. Found this thread... and apparently I'm on the right track? Just need to somehow get more strength into it?

How are you guys locking it into the vice without damaging the upper/barrel?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Damn... I used a heat gun and no luck in removing the factory flash hider. Found this thread... and apparently I'm on the right track? Just need to somehow get more strength into it?

How are you guys locking it into the vice without damaging the upper/barrel?
Take the barrel out and mount it in a barrel vise right by the muzzle device.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got mine with a lot of hard work. I used a torch and 2 large wrenches put together to make 1 long one with a vice block holding the barrel. It was hard as hell but was able to get it off. Now i just hope i get my tax stamp soon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Heat is your friend.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If it's anything like the FH they put on the 17S 20" barrel then it takes heat, barrel vise and some serious torque. I used a propane torch, vice blocks in a vice with leather to hold/prevent marring, wrench with breaker bar and a little help from my wife to keep the barrel from twisting in the vise as I put muscle into the wrench...….it finally broke free but DAMN!!!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I’ve removed all mine 16,17 and 17s and replaced them with Surefire Warcomps. Apply heat using a heat gun , use a reaction rod and they all came off with ease
I’m interested in the Reaction Rod comment, I don’t believe the AR15 Geissele reaction rod is the same bolt face pattern as the SCAR 16 and does not work, although really useful for ARs. Is the AR10 Reaction Rod the same pattern as the SCAR 17/20?

A good barrel vice with leather or some other media that assists holding and prevents marring the barrel. Use the clamp as close as possible to the muzzle in the larger diameter section of in the barrel. IIRC I was afraid of twisting the barrel the damn thing was on so hard. The 16, 17 short barrels came with the same flash hider and were on with similar torque. Heat the flash hider not the barrel.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For those whom are interested, Botach sells quality Reaction Rods in 5.56 and 7.62 for much cheaper than Geiselle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Factory barrels don't use rocksett so soaking wont accomplish much.

Heat it up, make sure to have the correct vice block for the barrel and apply torque in reverse to remove. I've found that the AAC 3 prong flash hider tool works extremely well on the factory FN 3 prong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a cheapo 17 or 18" long 3/8" torque wrench and the AAC flash hider tool. So far no heat required

1 - 20 of 53 Posts