FN Herstal Firearms banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
659 Posts
I figure I cut it flat on both sides about half way through then try and wedge a flat screwdriver under it & pry it up enough to grab it with some needlenose pliers and work it up & down until it breaks. It is "soft" metal you know. My skinney white ass it is!!!

·
Administrator
11,726 Posts
I don't think FN thought someone would remove the FH resulting in this issue. Of course, armorers, gunsmith, and FN hve the 'speciality tools required to do this.

Good luck.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I don't think FN thought someone would remove the FH resulting in this issue. Of course, armorers, gunsmith, and FN hve the 'speciality tools required to do this.

Good luck.
The civilian version 20S 6.5CM (and maybe the 7.62) comes with a Surefire Procomp muzzle brake and a crush washer both of which have to be removed to attach a direct thread suppressor or a QD muzzle device for attaching a can. The 20's for the Big Green Weenie probably already come equipped to attach a suppressor, so maybe the crush washer & muzzle brake are just some extra insurance installed by FN to make sure the poor civilian serfs that purchase their overpriced firearms have to really jump through hoops to install equivalent equipment to those that the bulked up, tattooed Rambos get to strut around with. They all forget though that it's WE THE POOR CIVILIAN SERFS that pay their salaries for all their protein powder, dead weights and full sleeve tats...
Looks just like my Dremel!!! It makes such precise cuts!!!

·
Banned
659 Posts
Well, THAT was a F'ing ordeal, all caused by a little POS crush washer!!! Went to Lowe's this AM and purchased a small 10" hacksaw with a 24 TPI blade. I taped the muzzle threads and barrel from the shoulder down for about an inch down. Then I went to work with the hacksaw, slowly sawing the "soft" metal (BS!!!) crush washer, checking constantly. After I got down almost all the way thru the crush washer, I rotated it 90 degrees and did the same thing again. Finally when I got this second "saw session" completed, I was still unable to slide a screwdriver under the CW and the barrel shoulder, so I took said small, thin flat bladed screwdriver and used it a chisel to finally break the CW at it's thinnest part and removed the *** thing.

All told, the taping, sawing, checking, retaping took well over 2 hours and the final removal of the CW took all of 30 seconds. I probably could have done the sawing part quicker but I know me and I would have royally screwed the barrel & threads all to hell if I'd rushed. What a crappy, PITA job!!! I don't envy any one that has to hassle taking one off like mine. Lots of youtube videos out there about how to remove a CW but not one that referenced the exact situation with removing the CW on my SCAR 20S 6.5 CM .

Now I can finally sleep at night again without tossing and turning thinking about that F'ing crush washer. THANKS FOR NADA FN!!!

20201203_124209.jpg 20201203_124323.jpg 20201203_125211.jpg 20201203_130625.jpg 20201203_144035.jpg

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
congrats! on finally getting your crush washer off (y) The blue painters tape really comes in handy protecting the finish

·
Banned
659 Posts
congrats! on finally getting your crush washer off (y) The blue painters tape really comes in handy protecting the finish
Thank you Lester. That tape was a real life saver. Nice & thick & unbelieveably I didn't screw anything up, which makes a very small dent in all my other faux pas!!!

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah this is the same problem that I had with POF...because they monkey on the muzzle devices so hard...it mushrooms the crush washers where they can't be removed...

·
Banned
659 Posts
Yeah this is the same problem that I had with POF...because they monkey on the muzzle devices so hard...it mushrooms the crush washers where they can't be removed...
The strange thing about it was that after soaking the muzzle brake threads overnight with Aerokroil, it was a nothingburger to break the muzzle brake free using a simple stamped AR muzzle wrench. For sure the crush washer was really compressed but I would have thought that the muzzle brake would have been harder to remove with the torque they must have applied to that crush washer.

I still keep having small flashbacks about how bad it was to remove that f***ing thing without goat screwing the muzzle threads or barrel shoulder. I'm now calling for a complete ban on further manufacture of any more crush washers!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I took my Scar 20s to Riflegear where not only do they carry/sell FN SCARs, their gunsmith has installed many Muzzle Brakes on the Scar 20S and know how to install the Shoulder Ring.

They charge me $10 to install my Surefire SOCOM Muzzle Brake and total turnaround time was 2 Days.

I even checked to make sure everything is concentric with my Surefire SOCOM Muzzle Brake and Surefire SOCOM 762-RC2 Suppressor using my Geissele Alignment Rod.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I took my Scar 20s to Riflegear where not only do they carry/sell FN SCARs, their gunsmith has installed many Muzzle Brakes on the Scar 20S and know how to install the Shoulder Ring.

They charge me $10 to install my Surefire SOCOM Muzzle Brake and total turnaround time was 2 Days.

I even checked to make sure everything is concentric with my Surefire SOCOM Muzzle Brake and Surefire SOCOM 762-RC2 Suppressor using my Geissele Alignment Rod.
View attachment 139414
We have a winner!!! No sign of any damage to the barrel getting the crush washer off? It caused me internal bleeding and a mini-stroke getting the one off my 20S 6.5 CM. BTW, CONGRATS on the Surefire!!! You just pissed off over half the Forum Poors and Haters who have inferior and substandard suppressors on their SCARS, hating themselves for making such a stupid mistake and would eagerly take it out on the wife if she hadn't already left with the baby for her folks house. Anything other than Surefire: S-T-U-P-I-D!!! (Hint to Admin. Not A Bigoted or Racist Statement in most of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd world, only here on the "Can't We All Just Get Along Rodney King" Forum)!!! YOW-SA!!!

Reactions: LKNGOOD
41 - 53 of 53 Posts