FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a little.22 rifle suppressed I am setting up for hunting squirrels and racoons mainly. I was wondering what you guys think is the most effective and humane.22 subsonic round for hunting is? Lately I have been using cci standard velocity segmented hollow points which are 1050 fps I believe. I see now they make this same round in "quiet" which is 710 fps but it only has 45 ft lbs of energy, not sure that's enough. Though it would be real silent suppressed. They advertise 68 db at the war unsuppressed as it is. Suggestions on ammo please, thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Gemtech. Most reliable and cleanest 22lr subammo that I have shot. Also cycles very well. I would recommend getting one of those 300 lumen green flashlights from Academy or somewhere like that to use a nighttime. This color of light does no seem to bother anims and these lights can produces good enough illumination for most optics that I have tested (by looking through, not fired through) at night even up to about 75 yards. It is a great addition to take on your **** hunts.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I would steer clear of segmented hollow points for small critters. They are excellent for raccoons. I recommend a hollow point round. I use Eley because they fire every time I pull the trigger without fail. When I don't have Eley standard velocity CCI hollow points work great. can't even hear them out of a bolt gun. You can hear them smacking that squirrel though WHOP! :-D the Segmented round will ruin too much of small critters to be considered a good small critter round. I have even had stellar results with SVRN. With those though (as with any but more so with those) you have to keep in mind what's behind your intended target. Because those SVRN rounds will go though a squirrel and still travel a mile before hitting the ground. Bare in mind that an SVRN will go through six milk jugs full of water before stopping. Nasty little round and I love it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I use the CCI standard velocity, very accurate and less noise than my Gamo .177 and very lethal. Squirrels drop like a rock and no complaints from the old lady neighbors who feed the damn long tailed rats b/c they don't here the kill shots anymore.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I use the CCI standard velocity, very accurate and less noise than my Gamo .177 and very lethal. Squirrels drop like a rock and no complaints from the old lady neighbors who feed the damn long tailed rats b/c they don't here the kill shots anymore.
I feed them. I feed them .22 caliber pills :biggrin:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The Quiet 22 is fine for squirrels and the like. Not sure I'd use the segmented ones on raccoons, but I'd use the hollow points or round nose on them. Considering the opossums and raccoons I've killed with my .177 air rifle (1000 fps or so), the 22 quiet does a better job (with good shot placement).

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Gemtech. Most reliable and cleanest 22lr subammo that I have shot. Also cycles very well. I would recommend getting one of those 300 lumen green flashlights from Academy or somewhere like that to use a nighttime. This color of light does no seem to bother anims and these lights can produces good enough illumination for most optics that I have tested (by looking through, not fired through) at night even up to about 75 yards. It is a great addition to take on your **** hunts.
:th_ditto: The Gemtech is great. It cycles in almost every gun that we have tested with it and hits hard. I use it for rabbit hunting and it will take down a big Jack Rabbit without issue. Also little secret it that it is made my CCI.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if the gemtech is actually cci standard velocity? Standard velocity cci cycle everything I have except one pistol which is fine because supersonic ammo does not go super in its short barrel

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Well since you asked it is my understanding that it is a standard load however the bullet is a heavier grain and thus is subsonic. Like how 147gr 9mm is subsonic but uses a standard powder charge.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonder if the gemtech is actually cci standard velocity? Standard velocity cci cycle everything I have except one pistol which is fine because supersonic ammo does not go super in its short barrel

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the gemtech is 42 grains. I had some Winchester one that was 42 grain subsonic, it was great stuff

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Sld SVRN = standard velocity round nose. Plain Jane .22 ammo. Also, I have killed more stuff with match ammo then I can count too. Match ammo tends to be subsonic or "standard velocity" as well. It's really all about shot placement on stuff as big as raccoons. Squirrels will die fairly quickly with a body shot but you want to avoid a leg shot. Other than that, pretty much any reliable .22 ammo will put a hurtin on small game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts