FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating building a custom 10/22 just for fun and to see how accurate I can make it. I am likely going to start with a regular ruger 10/22 and build from there for as little money as I can manage (as part of the challenge). This will be a long term project. Any advice about finding the best prices for the basic rifle, as well as aftermarket parts (stock, bull barrel etc.) and which parts are the best would be appreciated.

·
Banned
328 Posts
It's really a question of what you want to do with the gun. Hunting, plinking, competition, safe queen?

Heavy barrels improve accuracy but it sucks carrying them around if you hunt.

If it were me I'd get a good scope and maybe a Harris bipod and call it done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since you'll just end up replacing everything but the receiver and maybe bolt, I'd find a old junker in a pawn shop or just get a receiver only from Volquarston (sp?) or Brownells.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I ended up splurging a bit and got the target model. It has a target trigger (lighter than the carbine) and the heavy barrel. The laminate stock is quite nice. Can't wait to get it to the range to zero the scope. I guess that takes away from the project part of the experience, but I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
B52U said:
Thanks, I ended up splurging a bit and got the target model. It has a target trigger (lighter than the carbine) and the heavy barrel. The laminate stock is quite nice. Can't wait to get it to the range to zero the scope. I guess that takes away from the project part of the experience, but I couldn't resist.
Post us up a photo!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hammer forged barrel is really nice on this thing. Not bad for stock.
Someday a volquartsen trigger upgrade perhaps. Fun to shoot.

First scope zeroing.

Funny thing happened at the range last time I was shooting. I was putting a bunch of rounds in the bullseye at 50 yards and all of a sudden my ancient bushnell 3-9X40 scope went totally blurry. Tapped on the housing and it went back to focus, then blurry again. Looks like a lens came loose.

Any suggestions on an affordable replacement scope? I would probably go with a 3-9X40 or perhaps even a 4-12X50 with an adjustable objective. I would love to have something that would allow me to comfortably attempt some 100 yard shots.

Are the 50's too big?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts