FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you buy a .22lr conversion kit for your PS90?

• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like blueberry pie!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
On AR15, I saw someone mention that one is beingw orked on.

I think its pretty kewl. I might buy one. I also saw someone claim that there might be a 9mm conversion as well. But, supposedly, that might be $500-$600.

I'd buy a 22 conversion if the cost is right. I might be unrealistic, but if it could be under $300, I'd buy one. Anything over that, and I wouldn't...

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I'd buy a 22 conversion if the cost is right. I might be unrealistic, but if it could be under $300, I'd buy one. Anything over that, and I wouldn't...
+1.
Tomac

·
Registered
320 Posts
Absolutely not.

For the amount that I shoot it/will shoot it in the future, it's not worth it. I can shoot it indoors with the 5.7, so that's not a problem. It's cheaper ammo., and it's .22. I'm sure the trajectory is different than that of the 5.7 that i use and I am sighted in for (195). It just would make for more of a hassle then anything.

I have about 10 other .22's that I can shoot if I want to. But I don't want to, so the .22 conversion would be pointless for my application.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Honestly, I'm sure that I'd end up getting both, especially if they could keep the 22 price point at say 200-250, but I'd be more interested in the 9mm, ala the old AUG kit, just because

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, ITSTOCK is probably right about a shooter having to resight in their gun to use the 22. That would be a pain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the conversion was of high quality and a decent hi-cap mag was included, I would probably convert it to 22 permanently so I can shoot the hell out of it all the time. Go out for an afternoon and dump a couple thousand rounds through it with a sound suppressor attached. I would have a blast with a gun that would normally cost a bunch to shoot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would definitely buy a kit as long as it was reliable and uses mags that hold at least 30 rounds.

Even if it costs $300, it'd still be worth it because .22LR and 5.7x28 give the same results at the static ranges. They punch small .22" holes on paper all the same. You may get a bit more range with the 5.7x28, but most static ranges are limited to 100 yd, well within reason for .22LR

.22LR is about 1-2 cents per round, compared to 30c-40c per round for 5.7x28. I understand a lot of people are reluctant to use anything but 5.7x28 in their PS90 and come up with the wildest excuses, but I fail to see any negative impact whatsoever for use at the static range or for plinking.

I cannot afford to shoot at trash using 30c+ exotic Belgium made ammo on a daily basis, but .22LR does make a whole lot of sense and should allow for max enjoyment of the PS90.

A reliable .22LR kit would also increase the popularity of the PS90 because many people who did not want to pay the high prices for the 5.7x28 ammo can now afford to shoot .22LR

The 5.7x28 ammo snobs need to remember that not everyone is willing to pay 30c+ per cartridge just to shoot for fun. Price is one reason why .22LR is the most proliferated cartridge around the world.

I know if there was a .22LR kit available, I'd pick one up and blast several thousand rounds out of my PS90 immediately.

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
No way. When I was in the military, we fired the 22 moded M16 and it SUCKED big time. Now the 5.56 modded down to the 22 may be different from the PS90 modded to the 22 but to me that is like modding a 44 mag to shoot 32. The gun is not designed for this and it will only create problems.

So that is a resounding NO vote for me.

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
metroplex said:
5.56 x 45, .223 Rem, 5.7x28, and .22LR are all "22's"
You are right of course but that does not negate the fact that going from a full sized 5.56 cartridge down to a 22LR cartridge created problems.

During qualifying, I can't tell you the number of times that the modded M16 failed to operate as prescribed, resulting in less than a stellar performance for me. I had always shot expert witht he standard M16 (45 rds out of 45 rds) yet when I used the modded M16 I only hit 34 out of 45 rds due to misfires, mischambering, and overall performance.

Unfortunately, it was also my last qualification before I retired and I was downgraded from an Expert in the M16 to a Sharpshooter. It left a very bad tasted in my mouth and I will never again shoot a modified firearm to shoot a cartridge other than what the firearm was originally designed for.

Just my .02 cents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts