FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a dumb question and I rest confident it will be made known if it is. From what I have read and researched the .223 Wylde's chamber is touted as being able to eat .223 AND 5.56 without issue. If this is the case would it not make sense for a SHTF SCAR 16s to have its chamber profiled in .223 Wylde if this were possible? I know there might be gas system issues but if they could be addressed by the average SHTF biased SCAR owner it would open the door to more ammo choices and flexibility. What say you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
556 chamber works fine for 223, it just may lose a bit of accuracy. You can't use a wylde chamber reamer in a 556 chamber because it is already bigger in most if not all areas.

·
Registered
604 Posts
A rifle with a 5.56 chamber can fire both .223 and 5.56 with no issues. A Mk 16S has a 5.56 chamber, so I don't see the need for a Wylde chambering on the Mk 16S.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently I didn't pay much attention or was being dyslexic when reading this dimensional comparison chart. Thanks for the clarification...

View attachment 22891

556 chamber works fine for 223, it just may lose a bit of accuracy. You can't use a wylde chamber reamer in a 556 chamber because it is already bigger in most if not all areas.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
The Wylde chamber is in between .223rem and 5.56 nato, the whole deal was to try to come up with a chamber that could run 5.56 nato spec ammo and pick up a little more accuracy if shooting .223rem spec ammo. I will never own another barrel chambered for .223rem. I have several DMR Wylde chambered barrels and several in 5.56, depending on who cut the chamber and who's barrel blank it started with I have seem very little difference in accuracy between the two.

In a "SHTF" hypothetical situation I would be more likely to favor a 5.56 nato chambered setup for my auto loader that I knew before hand was accurate and up to the job.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Sir,

I'm glad I'm buying the SCAR 16s and can shoot .223 if needed.

The Wylde chamber is in between .223rem and 5.56 nato, the whole deal was to try to come up with a chamber that could run 5.56 nato spec ammo and pick up a little more accuracy if shooting .223rem spec ammo. I will never own another barrel chambered for .223rem. I have several DMR Wylde chambered barrels and several in 5.56, depending on who cut the chamber and who's barrel blank it started with I have seem very little difference in accuracy between the two.

In a "SHTF" hypothetical situation I would be more likely to favor a 5.56 nato chambered setup for my auto loader that I knew before hand was accurate and up to the job.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I will never own another barrel chambered for .223rem.
Ditto. And while I like 1:7 as a good GP/Do-it-all twist rate, to get the most out of a heavier bullet (68-75 gr) I've come to prefer 1:8.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ditto. And while I like 1:7 as a good GP/Do-it-all twist rate, to get the most out of a heavier bullet (68-75 gr) I've come to prefer 1:8.
Wait I think I read that wrong. Why would a 1:8 work better for heavier bullets compared to a 1:7 twist?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wait I think I read that wrong. Why would a 1:8 work better for heavier bullets compared to a 1:7 twist?
The slightly slower twist doesn't "over spin" the bullet and increase the impact of spindrift on the projectile.

Reactions: mattr66

·
Registered
241 Posts
The slightly slower twist doesn't "over spin" the bullet and increase the impact of spindrift on the projectile.
Some bullets will stabilize at 1in 9 like the 75 gr vmax but the 77 match king really needs a a 1:8. I've never thought about the difference in spin drift between 1:8 and 1:7 though. Has anyone ever done a direct comparison?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts