FN Herstal Firearms banner

Which PS90 upper should I buy strictly for short-barreling?

• Get the Tri-Rail version. You'll keep your options open and save a little cash.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get the USSS version. It's simpler and will stay truer to the original P90 look.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you all in this thread can help me make a decision. I want to short-barrel my PS90 TR, but I don't want to lose the ability to take it wherever I want (i.e. state to state). This leaves me with just one obvious choice - get another PS90.

Now, here's where I want some suggestions. I can't drop the cash for a whole new PS90 right now, so I'm looking at just buying an upper from CMMG (or anyone else who might come along). Whatever I purchase from them will be what I have short-barreled. The only two I'm considering are the TR version (M1913 rail) and the USSS version (black reticle ring sight).

Here's why I'm considering those two:

TR - I've already got one and it's already loaded with gear (with more on the way). I could just transfer the gear from my long-barreled PS90 to the new short-barreled one if I wanted. Problem would be that every time I swapped uppers, I'd have to do this. Also, my zero for my EOTech would change each time. So I have gear compatibility for the inconvenience of having to swap out and re-zero. It's also cheaper than the USSS version.

USSS - Plug and play. Unless I feel the need to put a weapon light on the side, I don't have to add anything as it's already got a built-in sight which most people don't really seem to mind. I've never handled one of these, so I don't know how well I'd like the smaller viewport. Also, when short-barreled, it would look a whole heck of a lot more like a P90 than my other option. There's something to be said for that... it's just plain cool!

So let the voting begin! Hit me with the opinions, please. Maybe you'll bring something to my attention that I didn't think of! :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'd get the black sighted model - as you get the best of both worlds. U can STILL mount your own optic if you buy an optic rail. And, you get the black ringed sight to begin with.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Texas Armadillo said:
I voted for the USSS... but I would probably use one of the custom receivers http://www.thompsonmachine.net/gun2.htm
Nothin' against the custom receivers, but that puts everything too far forward for me. I like where my TR sits everything.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i voted USSS... well, USG... version as well.

i've thhought about another receiver for SBRing as well- where are you planning on getting yours?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hank said:

i've thhought about another receiver for SBRing as well- where are you planning on getting yours?
I had originally thought I'd get my SBRing done at TROS, but I thought I'd see what CMMG might charge if I bought the upper and had it SBRed there all in one fell swoop.

·
Registered
520 Posts
FSCJedi said:
Hank said:

I had originally thought I'd get my SBRing done at TROS, but I thought I'd see what CMMG might charge if I bought the upper and had it SBRed there all in one fell swoop.
not sure, but they might charge an arm and a leg. my guess is they are going to try to sell you the upper, plus a 10.3" barrel, plus a new hider, plus shop services.

i could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling from them.

i know TROS makes nice mounts, but i don't know that i have ever seen their barrel work. you could always be our guinea pig. :twisted:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i like my triple rail version :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I vote usss sight because its simple, rugged, reliable, and low profile perfect for a back up upper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but once the receiver is registered as an SBR you still need to file paperwork to move it state to state regardless of the barrel length currently on the rifle. The only way around would be to have it removed from the NFA registry making it a normal rifle again.

Again I could be wrong but that's my understanding. It would be the same if you took a machine gun and made it semi auto only ... it's still classified as a machine gun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
abomb60 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but once the receiver is registered as an SBR you still need to file paperwork to move it state to state regardless of the barrel length currently on the rifle. The only way around would be to have it removed from the NFA registry making it a normal rifle again.

Again I could be wrong but that's my understanding. It would be the same if you took a machine gun and made it semi auto only ... it's still classified as a machine gun.
???

I'm confused... what's your point? I stated this basically in my first sentence or two. I have a TR, but don't want to lose the ability to move it state to state (by short-barreling it), so I want to get another receiver to short-barrel. If I plan on taking the SBR anywhere, then yes, I'll have to file the paperwork.

Thanks for all the votes people! It looks like the USSS version is winning dramatically!

·
Registered
12 Posts
After re-reading it I get what you're saying. You're right .. a new receiver with a new serial would be counted as a normal rifle receiver and the SBR receiver could be put on when necessary.

In that case I vote for a TR.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i am too tired to think at the moment lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts