FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a discussion with me on 3-Select.
Its okay if you don't like something.. Lets talk about it.
As some of you have heard or seen, it was just featured in RECOIL magazine for October.
Many SCARs across the country are tuned with 3-Select up to this point and so far everyone is happy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks good. I like this design better than the Scarborator design. I'd try one. Got a link to the specs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wanted to cover all bases of tuning from the gas selector.
SCARburator is also a working product, but takes a little more Tinkering mindset of a person to set it up right.

Here is a YouTube link to the demo on the first working prototype..
Link to product is under SCAR parts section of:
www.mototecheng.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
I definitely like the idea of keeping the factory jet installed and having two more options for suppressors. Compared to having to put a blow torch on the gas system to remove a specific size of jet however many times it takes by trial and error to reach the sweet spot for a suppressor. It certainly seems much simpler if it works! Not to mention if one wanted to shoot without a suppressor, when tuned by gas jet swapping alone, one has to swap out another gas jet, which seems impractical IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely like the idea of keeping the factory jet installed and having two more options for suppressors. Compared to having to put a blow torch on the gas system to remove a specific size of jet however many times it takes by trial and error to reach the sweet spot for a suppressor. It certainly seems much simpler if it works! Not to mention if one wanted to shoot without a suppressor, when tuned by gas jet swapping alone, one has to swap out another gas jet, which seems impractical IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
absolutely.. First and foremost.. I got super frustrated with only being able to buy OEM selectors once every 30months.. lol
Then, when I first started making my own to tinker and possibly sell... The ideas just flooded, sleep was difficult, too many possibilities.
Why does one have to do barrel surgery and STILL just be stuck with ONE setting..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since I don't use cans, I've tuned my SCAR to run M80 on the "suppressed" setting and save the "normal" mode for dirty or adverse conditions. I keep a set of PMM gas jets and the Allen key in my grip storage compartment. Having a 3rd position with this new regulator would let me tune the middle position for M80, have the smallest setting for hotter commercial .308, and still have an adverse setting for the M80 (the largest hole). Sounds appealing. The only thing better, would be a 4th (even smaller) position for suppressed :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'd definitely give it a try and take two if they worked well. Also, any idea when your buffers will be back in stock.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Hell of a good idea. I definitely want to try one, with my eye on a couple more if it works out for me.

Time to start dragging the couch cushions for loose change.

Never seem to be done with these F'N SCARS.

Reactions: jaflowers

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
One big question, are you making multiple versions of this plug?? One to run in a 20", one for a 16" and the one for the 13" barrels? As different lengths require different "initial" port sizes due to gas pressure I would think each length barrel would need a different plug.

I love Kansas idea about setting the regulator up for M80 at the initial setting, then full power 308 in the first reduced setting and finally suppressed for the third setting.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
One big question, are you making multiple versions of this plug?? One to run in a 20", one for a 16" and the one for the 13" barrels? As different lengths require different "initial" port sizes due to gas pressure I would think each length barrel would need a different plug.
That is a very good question. I'd be looking at a 13" and 16" setup.

Also curious about its use on the 16S. The regulator is the same, but the gas jets are of course different sizes. Mostly looking for a 10" compatible switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd definitely give it a try and take two if they worked well. Also, any idea when your buffers will be back in stock.
The buffers are in-stock right now. We brought that process along with just about everything and now we can at least keep our big sellers in-stock all the time.
The latest batch of pistons is on the way back from TiN coating, they will be back in stock here next few days. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I don't use cans, I've tuned my SCAR to run M80 on the "suppressed" setting and save the "normal" mode for dirty or adverse conditions. I keep a set of PMM gas jets and the Allen key in my grip storage compartment. Having a 3rd position with this new regulator would let me tune the middle position for M80, have the smallest setting for hotter commercial .308, and still have an adverse setting for the M80 (the largest hole). Sounds appealing. The only thing better, would be a 4th (even smaller) position for suppressed :)
Absolutely.. As mentioned in the video demo..
One can also further de-tune or up-tune with gas jets and use the regulator to select between settings when changing ammo / cans /or mood in a Tool-less fashion.
I tried to get as many settings into it as I could but simple build geometry of the gasblock would not allow me to..
If you notice the oddball cut-out on the detent "leaf" of current 3-select.. That is there for clearance reasons.
It is the easiest "trick" I could come up with so the device can have enough rotation to ACTUALLY achieve the 3 positions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I love Kansas idea about setting the regulator up for M80 at the initial setting, then full power 308 in the first reduced setting and finally suppressed for the third setting.
As people tinker more and more with the platform, there will be more and more tuning specific needs. Like mentioned before, the device CAN be used in conjuction with alternate gasjets to up-tune or de-tune your configuration. I just ask any customer to start with a factory gasjet as baseline because it is definately designed to work with it from the start.

My 12" SCAR16 runs great with 3select on a factory size gas jet.

Lets just say you have a 10" SCAR16 and you want to run "trailblazer" or even close to subsonic ammo (if you are into that, this is an extreme example). You can up-size your jet as far as you need and then use the 3-select to detune if you decide to run something closer to factory M80 ammo. The 2 extremes described have not been tested and would be something amazing to accomplish with 3-select and is actually a job I would give to SCARburator as more appropriate.

I want to gauge interest in an idea I've been tossing around of offering a DIY level9 deltaforce SCAR operator version. One that has OEM 1st position drilled, then the other 2 are just marked with "divots" in the correct positions for you to drill your own setting.. That way you can take a drill to the range and come up with your own tune. All I would provide is a pamplet with available ranges of hole diameters that would actually fit and not interfere with each other.

All awesome questions.. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please comply with the rules on vendor status prior to selling or advertising your wares on the forum.

Thank you.....
I would like to setup vendor status but just need a point of contact or link.
Looked into the vendor pages here but they all seem to have been last updated a looong time ago.
Lemme know thanks.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts