FN Herstal Firearms banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks! jaflowers
The wife is mostly my shipping department here.
I try to also get in and knock out shipments as much as I can but always busy in the shop.

We just got caught up to yesterday on orders.
I'd like to be amazon fast but I'm afraid that would mean hiring somebody for a couple hours every day to make that happen.
Thanks to all for all the support and constructive criticism.

The conversations and questions here have been very useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just wanted to drop off a bit of a confession.

For a few early development days, I was tossing round names. I almost called this thing the SCAR-nooter valve..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was just about to order this for my 20S when I realized that I should check the GCS for my 6.5CM barrel. Glad I did, the GCS is 1.2mm in my 6.5CM 20S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I always recommend that you start with your factory size gas-jet. Whatever it is, leave it then install the device.
That way, once you screw on your can, 6in, 9in, whatever it is.. Now you can tune it down from factory gas flow to achieve your desired cycling.
If still too gassy, tune down with gas-jets. Say put in a 0.2mm smaller one. Go shoot the gun, it should be gtg. And now you have on the fly select-ability to boot.

Happy tuning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure if that post was directed at me. I was trying to say that the stock gas jet on a 6.5 Creedmoor 20S appears to be smaller than the smallest hole you reported on your gas regulator so I don’t think it’ll work on the Creedmoor version as is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure if that post was directed at me. I was trying to say that the stock gas jet on a 6.5 Creedmoor 20S appears to be smaller than the smallest hole you reported on your gas regulator so I don’t think it’ll work on the Creedmoor version as is.
It'll work with everyone's setup. So for your setup, your saying your stock gas jet is at 1.2mm at the 12 O'clock Position and when you want to shoot suppressed you switch it to the 10 O'clock position. (Only 1 option to shoot suppressed)

Now with the 3-Select Gas Regulator, your stock 12 O'clock position is the same as oem (aka: Shoots the same) but you now have 2 additional settings for suppress shooting :)

Just like my Scar 20S 7.62x51mm is stock at 1.4mm and the Scar 17S is at 1.45mm. But now I have 2 settings for even less gas exposure to the piston.

*Stock 16s W/16" Barrel=1.35mm Gas Jet

*Stock 17s W16" Barrel=1.45mm Gas Jet

*Stock MK20 W/20" Barrel=1.40mm Gas Jet

·
Registered
181 Posts
That’s what I’m saying - a 308 20S may have a stock gas jet of 1.4mm but my 6.5 Creedmoor 20S has a stock gas jet of 1.2mm. So all three of the openings on the regulator are larger than 1.2mm which means there’s no regulation of gas vs stock right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The openings on the 3-Select have a relative scale to the ones on your OEM gas knob unit. The lets call them "valve" openings on the regulator knob are of course not gonna be anywhere near what your gas-jet is in size and neither are the ones in any SCAR gasknob (gas jets are under 1.5mm in any SCAR configuration..

I like to explain things in analogy to a automobile engine system..Available gas from your barrel is your fuel. Your gas-jet is your fuelpump, your gasknob (whichever you go with) is a cylinder head. 3-select just happens to have more timing advance and valve lift adjustment. Piston is of course.. a piston. And so on..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't forget to order the rubber recoil pad too while your at it. I personally think that it makes as big a difference to felt recoil as re-jetting does, especially if you are using an aftermarket stock...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just received mine this afternoon, will test it out against my stock one tomorrow. First impressions, it's nicely made and went into the gun with no issues. One suggestion is concerning the notches. They are nice and smooth and the selector rotates beautifully. .....but.....the first notch does allow for clockwise turning (normally how you'd remove it) without having to press the detent plunger. Just the possibility that the plug could be loosened or come out without a conscious effort is slightly concerning. In comparison to the original, your notch is a nicely machined U where the original is more of a V. Maybe that's a minor change you could look at. Look forwardto range time tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Range report.
Tried this out in my 16" 17S. It has a 1.35 PMM gas screw in it.

1974 Indian surplus M80 ball ammo
No suppressor
Position 1 felt like the stock plug.
Position 2 also felt the same and also resulted in failure to feed. This was expected as that's how the stock plug acts in suppressed mode without a suppressor with the 1.35 gas screw.
Position 3 also resulted in failure to feed, also expected.
With suppressor
Position 2 ran perfect. Gas blowback seemed the same as stock plug.
Position 3 ran perfect. Gas blowback seemed a touch less but was close enough that it was difficult to tell.

Now I was really curious about full power 308 so tried some of my hand loads made for my 20" 17S barrel. Running no suppressor and with suppressor I still had too much gas even on position 3. This was judged by the feeling of the rifles action and recoil when fired. My loads aren't hot but are full power. Didn't want to hurt anything so stopped in 4 rounds.

Next is to try it in my SBR. Won't be for a few weeks, on vacation and hunting starting next weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Love to read these "in the field" stories.. THANKS for the report!..

It seems like your 17 can benefit from a small downsize of your "fuel pump" (gasjet) to go with your 3-select. I dont rly want to take too much guess but I want to say that you have a longer can than 6in. Higher pressure cans will have an overpowering gas effect.

I can suggest with confidence to take the jet down to 1.3mm or so, not too much so that your gun still runs without the can on pos1. This will give you a more noticeable difference between positions.

·
Registered
167 Posts
To change subjects just a little bit Eddie, are you still working on an alloy aftermarket lower receiver for the SCAR 17? I just got a SCAR 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor & I still don't like the $40-$60 FN mags. On my SCAR 17 I have an aftermarket lower & lots of Duramag/CPD mags which I'd like to use between platforms. What say ye?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Love to read these "in the field" stories.. THANKS for the report!..

It seems like your 17 can benefit from a small downsize of your "fuel pump" (gasjet) to go with your 3-select. I dont rly want to take too much guess but I want to say that you have a longer can than 6in. Higher pressure cans will have an overpowering gas effect.

I can suggest with confidence to take the jet down to 1.3mm or so, not too much so that your gun still runs without the can on pos1. This will give you a more noticeable difference between positions.

I did extensive jet testing quite awhile back. When running the 16" barrel a 1.35 will run flawlessly with the cheapest surplus without suppressor in the 12 position and when suppressed in the 10 position it had far less blowback than stock and also would run perfect. If I was going to run full power 308 all the time I'd need to go to a 1.25 or even 1.2 for the gas to be "normal". Going to a 1.3, it would run fine 90% of the time with the cheaper surplus, run perfect with better quality surplus....all unsuppressed....suppressed it ran perfect. Since it is a SHTF weapon for me I went with the 1.35 for full, no issue functionality.
Suppresser used Saturday was a TBAC Ultra 7 so yes, a little extra backpressure compared to some other brands.
When I try my 13" barrel in a few weeks it'll be with a 1.5 jet and a YHM Phantom M2 SS QD. Again, after extensive testing on the jet with that barrel, it'll run a 1.45 with good surplus perfect but with cheaper surplus only 90% so I opted to go to a 1.5 for perfect functionality with any ammo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
To change subjects just a little bit Eddie, are you still working on an alloy aftermarket lower receiver for the SCAR 17? I just got a SCAR 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor & I still don't like the $40-$60 FN mags. On my SCAR 17 I have an aftermarket lower & lots of Duramag/CPD mags which I'd like to use between platforms. What say ye?

The alloy lower project, just like the 25rd magazine project has come accross circumstances that make it not a good idea to move forward with. Not to say, they are cancelled, I just want everything to be optimum for the success of the project and not just end up wasting my time, or sending out IOUs for broken promises. I don't have alot of products in the menu, but I like to take on what I can chew only. The lower has been almost to prototype status twice but requires partnership with a shop that has the capable machines to mill them right. This turns into a bidding war for profit margin between the shop and myself. To me, this always turns into a situation where I would be screwed and left with all the exposure to loss if something goes south. They still get paid, I pickup all the check. Its risky. Ever since bringing all my processes in-house and firing all these machine shops, I have beecome more and more able to bring about innovations and new product. 3-Select is an example of this. I don't think it's going to take too long before I can arm my shop with the needed tools to turn out a proper lower for the SCAR.

MotoTech is certainly growing, thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The alloy lower project, just like the 25rd magazine project has come accross circumstances that make it not a good idea to move forward with. Not to say, they are cancelled, I just want everything to be optimum for the success of the project and not just end up wasting my time, or sending out IOUs for broken promises. I don't have alot of products in the menu, but I like to take on what I can chew only. The lower has been almost to prototype status twice but requires partnership with a shop that has the capable machines to mill them right. This turns into a bidding war for profit margin between the shop and myself. To me, this always turns into a situation where I would be screwed and left with all the exposure to loss if something goes south. They still get paid, I pickup all the check. Its risky. Ever since bringing all my processes in-house and firing all these machine shops, I have beecome more and more able to bring about innovations and new product. 3-Select is an example of this. I don't think it's going to take too long before I can arm my shop with the needed tools to turn out a proper lower for the SCAR.

MotoTech is certainly growing, thanks to all of you.
Thanks for the explanation Eddie & I can understand your reluctance to dive into the lower project. I do know that one of the individuals originally associated with the Handl lowers (not Handl himself) has all the digital design/manufacturing information & might be interested in sharing it in a possible partnership. I really like my aftermarket lower in spite of all the negative information about Handl products, spread mainly by the poors. Same goes for S.E.A.L. lowers. There are lots of individual who have paid up front for those, only to be going into their 2nd year of waiting to receive they're lowers.

Proprietary magazines have to be one of the stupidest ideas to ever come along. It didn't work for the original Galil 7.62 AR/ARM in the '80s and it doesn't work for the SCAR 17S today. All it does is facilitate overcharging & costly magazines and supply issues. 80's Galil 7.62 AR/ARM mags are selling for $150-$200 each today, that is when you can find them. I can't believe that the proprietary magazines haven't been a major supply issue over in the sandbox, especially when there's plenty of of other 7.62 platforms being used over there that happily eat the SR-25/M110 magazines all day long. I much prefer to pay $10 for a SR-25/M110 mag that $40-$50 for a factory FN mag.

Anyway, thanks for your response, your GREAT products and please keep everybody informed on any progress that Mototech might make in producing it's own SCAR 17S lower...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I think that at this point it is worth re-visiting my R&D demo video on 3-Select on my 16" SCAR17. Interesting report from jaflowers a few posts ago (not saying he is wrong or anything).
He has a 1.3 gasjet installed and my gun still has the same 1.45mm gasjet it came with out of the cardboard box back in 2012.
I was able to get the gun to turn into a bolt-action without a suppressor as I go down the settings.
I'd like folks to pay attention to how much my body moves with every shot compared to full gas when shooting with my 6in omega can screwed on.

I am also going to post the 3-select R&D video on my 12" SCAR16 here soon as soon as it uploads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And here is the SCAR16 12" video. Pay special attention to the speed of the charging handle as I go up and down the settings.
As my personal preference, I keep my 17 tuned with SCARburator (about 200deg open from fully closed) and my 16 on 3-select second setting.
Both guns run anything I throw at them FLAWLESSLY, the 16 is slowed down just enough that I can shoot it like a typewriter on-target.
I'd like to see at least 1 or 2 more peeps on here record a demo video and post it up here.

And as always, happy tuning!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts