FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am thinking about getting into the 300 AAC Blackout game, since I have a 5.56 upper/lower built with no barrel, so am thinking this is the way to go, especially after shooting my 7.62 "suppressed",

I found this PSA upper, which basically says it is made by FN(think that true?): PSA 12" CHF 300 AAC 1/8 Pistol Gas SQR 9" - Without BCG or Charging Handle

And then for barrels:
Daniel Defense
YHM
CMMG

Anybody got any recommendations from their builds? I am looking to spend around $200

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Now I am thinking about getting into the 300 AAC Blackout game, since I have a 5.56 upper/lower built with no barrel, so am thinking this is the way to go, especially after shooting my 7.62 "suppressed",

I found this PSA upper, which basically says it is made by FN(think that true?): PSA 12" CHF 300 AAC 1/8 Pistol Gas SQR 9" - Without BCG or Charging Handle

And then for barrels:
Daniel Defense
YHM
CMMG

Anybody got any recommendations from their builds? I am looking to spend around $200
Why not buy the AAC upper they are giving 200 gift card right now not sure if its a complete rifle or just the upper, if I hadn't already spent so much on the last 5 cans and 2 sbr's i'd be all over the AAC upper in 300 BLK, maybe the wife wont notice 1 more!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Why not buy the AAC upper they are giving 200 gift card right now not sure if its a complete rifle or just the upper, if I hadn't already spent so much on the last 5 cans and 2 sbr's i'd be all over the AAC upper in 300 BLK, maybe the wife wont notice 1 more!
They all look the same. :-D! I have the AAC upper and it is top notch. Couldn't be happier. Although a Gen 3 PMAG gave me an issue... 5 USGI mags ran like a top.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to buy a complete upper the only reason I link the PSA is because it was so cheap all I need is a barrel, I may look at the AAC barrel depending on price

do you really think that the PSA barrel is made by FN?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I am interested in 300 BLK as well. I haven't been able to find a 14.5" barrel. I was thinking of getting the 14.5" and permanently attaching a muzzle device. It's an alternative to going the SBR route.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That wouldn't surprise me at all ... FN makes many barrels for many other outfits.
I assume I could expect the same quality out of this barrel as any other FN item. Right?

Anybody have any experience with the FN 300blk barrel?

·
Registered
841 Posts
FYI AAC's promo is only on a can or a full rifle. Not just on an upper.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am interested in 300 BLK as well. I haven't been able to find a 14.5" barrel. I was thinking of getting the 14.5" and permanently attaching a muzzle device. It's an alternative to going the SBR route.
You could always get a short barrel and make a pistol with an SB-15 brace which can be legally shouldered

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

And then for barrels:
Daniel Defense
YHM
CMMG

I'm still on the fence over a 300BLK build but that looks like a good setup, I'd give that a try if I was convinced yet. :wink:
All their other parts have seemed to be good for the money.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm still on the fence over a 300BLK build but that looks like a good setup, I'd give that a try if I was convinced yet. :wink:
All their other parts have seemed to be good for the money.
Only thing holding me back right now is the fact its 12", I want it shorter.

Bet no other man has said that on the internet

After shooting my SCAR suppressed this past weekend I had forgotten just how barely hearing safe it was. I should start working on 308 sub loads rather than looking at a dif caliber, I have just heard that 308 is very difficult to sub load without getting keyholes...don't want those going through a suppressor...

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Only thing holding me back right now is the fact its 12", I want it shorter.

Bet no other man has said that on the internet

After shooting my SCAR suppressed this past weekend I had forgotten just how barely hearing safe it was. I should start working on 308 sub loads rather than looking at a dif caliber, I have just heard that 308 is very difficult to sub load without getting keyholes...don't want those going through a suppressor...
I wouldn't, I gave up on .308 subs, far to much trouble for what was gained. The 300BLK looks to be better but with the subs it still looks like either it's a close up round or something to shoot suppressed and giggle over, it is about the only sub round that will cycle semi-autos but I'm not sure it's still worth it for me.

I do find the super-sonic rounds more interesting but I don't know if I really want to add another caliber. :th_confused0024:

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
I wouldn't, I gave up on .308 subs, far to much trouble for what was gained. The 300BLK looks to be better but with the subs it still looks like either it's a close up round or something to shoot suppressed and giggle over, it is about the only sub round that will cycle semi-autos but I'm not sure it's still worth it for me.

I do find the super-sonic rounds more interesting but I don't know if I really want to add another caliber. :th_confused0024:

Imho,,, sub 300 black out is the best round to run suppressed in every category. I have a full size, gonna build or buy a 9-10 inch later in the year. Unsuppressed --- not so much due to price. I can shoot 308 or ak for less.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had PSA's 10.5" 300blk upper. The BARREL is made by FN. It is a CHF barrel.

Buy their upper since it is on sale and do something else with your upper w/o a barrel.

I had no issues semi auto or full auto with the PSA upper. I ended up selling it to get the 9" AAC because I'm crazy and wanted a matched rifle. (The upper came with AAC's pistol lower which I sent off for eform SBR)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You have hit it on the head, I agree with you and it really comes down to being a 50yd-100yd rifle that makes me giggle at the range. I would like a 9"-10" barrel and a long rail to cover the suppressor. But I also don't want to add a caliber I like the ones that i have and only just recently added a caliber, 22lr. I just got into 22lr in the past 2 years...

I was just a little unimpressed with my scar 17 and the noise of the suppressor, it was barely hearing safe and honestly even with the suppressor on I put my ears back on. I remember it being much more quiet the last time I took it out.

I just want a rifle load that is subsonic and 300blk seems to be the only real viable option. How is 223? Is it the same as the 308?

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
You have hit it on the head, I agree with you and it really comes down to being a 50yd-100yd rifle that makes me giggle at the range. I would like a 9"-10" barrel and a long rail to cover the suppressor. But I also don't want to add a caliber I like the ones that i have and only just recently added a caliber, 22lr. I just got into 22lr in the past 2 years...

I was just a little unimpressed with my scar 17 and the noise of the suppressor, it was barely hearing safe and honestly even with the suppressor on I put my ears back on. I remember it being much more quiet the last time I took it out.

I just want a rifle load that is subsonic and 300blk seems to be the only real viable option. How is 223? Is it the same as the 308?

300 black with 220 grain round supressor can be lighter than suppressed mp5. YouTube it-- seriously. It is crazy silent. I hear you and I didn't want to get another caliber--- after research I changed my mind. Funny thing was it was the caliber after 22 when I said no more calibers--- good news most videos with 300 black uses a aac sdn762 supressor! Same as your scar!

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Here you go a few for u!! Best thing about adding this caliber-- you only have to do that. No new mags, no new buffer or springs-- everything just goes together. Makes it a easier bit to swallow as opposed to the 6.8

1 - 20 of 26 Posts