FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone other than High Desert Dog that makes barrels or is there anyway to get a 12.5" (or whatever length works with the platform best other than 16") for a Scar Light?

It almost seems like I would have more luck trying to find some unicorn tears.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
An industry Rep from FNH on M4Carbine.net said that FN does make a .300 BLK barrel assembly for the Mk16, but said there are no plans at the moment to release it commercially. A .300 BLK SCAR with a 10.5" barrel would be my wet dream gun, but who knows if/when FN would ever release it on the Civilian market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought two 300blk barrels from Hi Desert Dog off of Gunbroker, a 12.5 and 16 in. $1,120 and $1,270 respectively (in line with other replacement barrel prices). Once they arrive, I'll need to change out the muzzle device to fit my can. I'll test super and sub on both and report back asap (2-3 weeks), if I forget to report and anyone is interested PM me. I''m excited but very nervous as to getting the gas system to work properly. If it doesn't it might be a year of waiting.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
so if you already have a sbr scar and its registered as 556 can you get a short barrel 300 blackout if available at under 16 inch and legally use it or do you have to reapply as a multi caliber?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought two 300blk barrels from Hi Desert Dog off of Gunbroker, a 12.5 and 16 in. $1,120 and $1,270 respectively (in line with other replacement barrel prices). Once they arrive, I'll need to change out the muzzle device to fit my can. I'll test super and sub on both and report back asap (2-3 weeks), if I forget to report and anyone is interested PM me. I''m excited but very nervous as to getting the gas system to work properly. If it doesn't it might be a year of waiting.
I would be all over it if Subs will cycle the action (suppressed, of course). I have my doubts though since in an AR you have to use a pistol length gas system for it to work. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised!

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Having done some research on just this very subject, you WILL need to modify the bolt carrier, recoil spring and possibly play with gas screws to make it work properly - exactly how to modify is a mystery to me. I checked HDD over a year ago and even on their site they explain this isn't simply a barrel assembly swap. I found out yesterday that Midwest Gun Works can convert the 16s to 300BLK and have it function correctly. They quoted me $1500 to turn my 16s into a 14" bbl 5.56/300BLK combo. I sincerely hope the HDD barrel assembly doesn't give you a migraine headache.

This is the thread I created yesterday on the subject, good luck!
http://fnforum.net/forums/scar-acce...7-mgw-custom-scar-16s-300blk-i-m-excited.html

Reactions: Midwest Gun Works

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Reactions: pak317

·
Registered
18 Posts
While celebrating freedom this weekend I finally got the chance to test the HDD barrels (12 and 16 inch 300BLK). I used Fiocchi 150gr FMJ supersonic and Gemtech 187gr Poly-tipped subsonic. I ran about 80 rounds through each barrel: 20 of each ammo through the full gas setting and another 20 of each through the suppressed setting with a Surefure Socom 762 can on the end. I'm happy to report there were no malfunctions, I was especially worried I would have ejection problems. I would have done more but I did not have much 300 ammo. All I did was swap barrels on my 16s pistol, no other parts. I know many of you haven't had the best experience with HDD but this product did work as advertised. Hope this helps anyone who is interested. This was only a function check, not an accuracy check. Sorry for reporting later than anticipated.

Also let me know what other rounds you would like me to test.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
All I did was swap barrels on my 16s pistol
Huh? 16s pistol? I was unaware that FNH manufactured and sold Scar pistols. Please fill me in on the legality of this.

As far as the 300blk functioning properly without modification of the bolt carrier or recoil spring I am extremely surprised. Now what we have is conficting information from HDD and from MGW. I do appreciate the update on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 16s pistol from HDD about 8 months ago, 10 inch 5.56 barrel. They are the only company I know that gets blank FN uppers. The upper is also engraved with their info, most likely because of the "manufacturing" rules with the ATF. The website description for the 300 barrel says it is drop-in and it was. It has HDD's proprietary gas block through, 3 position (off,full, suppressed), and it is basically a giant screw. The gas block looks much different from the factory standard and will not fit the standard front sight attachment.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I bought a 16s pistol from HDD about 8 months ago, 10 inch 5.56 barrel. They are the only company I know that gets blank FN uppers. The upper is also engraved with their info, most likely because of the "manufacturing" rules with the ATF. The website description for the 300 barrel says it is drop-in and it was. It has HDD's proprietary gas block through, 3 position (off,full, suppressed), and it is basically a giant screw. The gas block looks much different from the factory standard and will not fit the standard front sight attachment.
Ok cool. Would you mind throwing up a picture of this thing? I'd like to see it.

Reactions: Milspec
1 - 20 of 20 Posts