FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 17s and am a huge fan of FN (not a troll) and I think it is great that they are making as close to real-deal M4s and M249s available to the public. FN should be praised for their history of political un-correctness that started with their release of their (then) new bull-pups through the SCAR series of rifles.

BUT...

FN needs to be reminded by its loyal consumers that when the SCAR was marketed and released many, many years ago now, we were promised not only different-length quick-change barrels, but also other calibers. It is utterly ridiculous that SIG and B&T are bringing dedicated .300 BLK rifles to the market and I bet Beretta beats FN to the market with a .300 BLK bbl. option for the ARX. Seriously...as cool as a semi M249 is, it is not very affordable or practical for really anything. Tactically, and for hunting the .300 continues to explode with popularity and FN is just sitting on their hands on this. WTF?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm really lukewarm on the Scar 16 because I have .223/5.56 AR's and AR's are well established, having owned this caliber for some 50 years. AR's are cheaper and are the most popular sporting rifle in the US. Parts, accessories and used AR's saturate the market, gunbroker and gun shows.

Buuuut, I would have to put a Scar 16 in .300 Blk on my list of rifles I must have.

Why? Because .300 Blk in an AR platform can be a troublesome proposition. My no brand cobbled together from internet parts .300 Blk AR still needs an adjustable gas block and it needs the chamber reamed to .300 Blk because I suspect it is really a .300 Whisper chamber and NOT a .300 Blk chamber as the barrel is stamped. That is a very common mistake many .300 Blk barrel manufactures have made over the years. It causes feeding and extractions issues. Mine never hiccups when running .300 Whisper but has the occasional glitch when running .300 Blk, more so with stovepipes when I run supersonics. I believe it is over gassed as many are. A correct .300 Blk chamber reaming and an adjustable gas block properly tuned for the specific ammo being run usually resolves these issues.

I would count on FN to get the .300 Blk right if they released a Scar 16 in .300 Blk and I would trust that I could rely upon it to function properly.

Which may actually be one of the reasons FN has not made a .300 Blk Scar offering... to meet the standards we expect from FN, I believe it would require a gas block with more adjustment than just two positions, suppressed and unsuppressed because .300 Blk ammo varies greatly by brand and by load and the best way to account for that variation is with an adjustable gas block. It is entirely possible that FN has lost interest in investing the resources required to produce a .300 Blk that functions at the level of reliability we expect from FN, or FN is taking its time and not rushing the development, testing and verification with any future .300 Blk offerings.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would also point out that 7.62x35 .300 Blk is .30 caliber just like the Scar 17 and not .22 caliber like the Scar 16.

It is somewhere between the .223/5.56x45 and .308/7.62x51 calibers in terms of performance, but has more in common with the Scar 17 than the Scar 16 in my opinion, despite using the Scar 16 for the chassis because of the size of the magazine well.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I'd be in for one if they did. 300blk is probably the most fun Ive had with a firearm. Ever. I wish FNH would.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my 16S approved as an SBR, so if FN were to release a .300 BLK barrel assembly, I'd be on that like white on rice. Great concept, and would allow for the use of cheaper 5.56 training ammo in your .300 BLK carbine. Sadly, I doubt that we'll see it any time soon. The M16, M4, and M249S are possible because FN already has the tooling, experience, and capability in making them, and had to do relatively minor redesigns (yeah, open to closed bolt is a big difference, touche). Hopefully FN will continue on this trend, and we'll see a .300 BLK assembly soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
The lighter bullets are ok but the platform really shines with the heavier sub sonics. I am looking for another deal on Gemtech subs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
They did the multi caliber thing for the military I thought (at least 5.56 for the 17). However it was likely too expensive to bring to use regular folks.

There are pic of the kits in a few threads on this forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If FN did offer one, it would be in a comprehensive and expensive it, much like their 5.56 conversion kit. .300BLk is great, but I keep an AR upper, just in case.....:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts