FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've never heard of this happening to FNP's, but I figure I'd post it here as a first post contribution.

Problem:
My FNP started failing to fire using the double action pull. The hammer was falling into half-cock (position of the hammer when gun is decocked). Repeated pulls of the trigger did nothing, it simply wouldn't fire.

Reason:
The frame that houses the FCG on my FNP cracked on the right side after less than 300 rounds of factory 9mm ammo (silver bear). The crack is exactly in line with the face of the hammer when in the decocked position.

This gun is by far my most expensive gun (my second priciest was $260 and I have 10 guns) so I have really babied it. I dry fired it a bit, but the manual says nothing about it being harmful.

The force of the hammer decocking seems to have cracked the frame around the FCG which is actually pretty thin anyway. I had the store I bought it from send it back to FN and I'll give it a second chance when it comes back, but this is pretty disheartening.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that it also had a failure to feed, and several failures to slide lock after firing the last round in the magazine. I'll chalk it up to bad ammo and the gun being new and tight, but I definitely seem to have gotten a lemon.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Contact FN and send it in. EVERY company has problems sometimes. It just sucks when YOURS is the problem, I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add that I sent it in a couple days ago.

Does anyone knoe how long it takes them to fix a gun and get it back to you?

As I said, it's getting a second chance when it comes back. I just like the thing too much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
keep us posted on your FNP-9!

I thought I was the only guy in tulsa with an FNP-9..... I really like mine too- let us know how the customer service turns out. Every now and then, every manufacturer has a lemon. Sorry yours may be counted as defective, but you know how much fun they are to shoot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any update from you guys on how this went? Did you get them back from FNH yet? How is/was their CS? Just curious how things are going so I can soon buy an FNP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My FNP update

Last I spoke with FN two days ago the only answer I was given is "it will be a couple of weeks".I had asked if there is a problem in the FNP line of weapons and again all I recieved was the answer above.
It is really a "joy" to deal with companies with military contracts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The store that sent my FNP back was closed today, so I left them a message. Hopefully they've had it lying around for a whille while they tried to get a hold of me (lots of power outages and downed phone lines in NE Oklahoma right now).

I'm just not sure if I want to try it again, or just go for another type of pistol altogether.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gun came back from FN

Haven't fired it yet but it seems to be repaired.I will let you all know after we all dig out from the storms and I get a chance to fire it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
update

Finally got a chance to fire my repaired FNP-9.Gun was returned to me in about 3 weeks time.Problem with the hammer falling into the decock notch when trigger was pulled was fixed.But it had a new problem of the gun not firing at all when the trigger was pulled. So it went back to the gun shop where I had bought it and they are sending it back this time with a "pleasant note" enclosed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: update

pjv said:
Finally got a chance to fire my repaired FNP-9.Gun was returned to me in about 3 weeks time.Problem with the hammer falling into the decock notch when trigger was pulled was fixed.But it had a new problem of the gun not firing at all when the trigger was pulled. So it went back to the gun shop where I had bought it and they are sending it back this time with a "pleasant note" enclosed.
What was the final resolution to this problem for you from them?

Please post an update?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts