FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity does a 300BLK magazine follower exist and if so does it exist for Magpul Gen 3 Pmags? The 5.56 and 300BLK cartridges definitely have different profiles, would it be recommended to acquire some if they exist, I'd rather not have feeding issues?

Also, any recommendations on a 300BLK specific optic? I know EOtech makes a sight that accommodates both suppressed and non. The flight school which will be training me to fly a helicopter has the only federal/state aerial hunting permit in Florida and the owner needs another shooter so we've worked out a deal. The primary usage of the 300BLK will be suppressed and hunting hogs so a scope may not be the ideal option. Any suggestions or opinions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally I'd want an eotech for wide FOV and both eyes open if hog hunting from a chopper. You'd better get a go pro mount and post videos once you get up in the air!

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The helicopter has a video camera system onboard required by the State to document the kills. What about a Trijicon SRS, it seems to offer a larger objective lens which should translate into a wider FOV? I had one once but it had the electronics reflection problem so I sent it back, supposedly Trijicon has addressed this issue.

Personally I'd want an eotech for wide FOV and both eyes open if hog hunting from a chopper. You'd better get a go pro mount and post videos once you get up in the air!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
300 Blackout runs fine with regular followers, I've used, PMAGs, Lancers, and 20/30 rnd USGI mags with 300BO in a couple guns both supers/subs suppressed/unsuppressed with no issues.

As for the optic, I know of several from leupold and Trijicon, It will be hard to get a BDC that does both super and subs as there is such a drastic difference in the trajectory.

I have a good deal of experience of firing rifles from a helicopter crew station (not in the back but in the co pilot seat without the benefit of a strap or support) and I'd recommend a red dot vs a variable power or magninfied. Also depending on the airspeeds you will be firing at, you'll have to learn about some external/aerial ballistics such as port/starboard effect, projectile drift, trajectory drift and projectile jump. This comes into effect above ETL and get more pronounced at higher airspeeds. At 90KIAS your holds are pretty pronounced and differ depending on what side of the aircraft you are on.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, no worrying about the followers then, thanks!

As for the choppers, it'll either be a Robinson R22, R44 or MD500 so we won't be moving too fast nor at high altitude but I imagine it'll be a learning curve for me. Florida recently approved suppressors for all types of hunting and the owner/flight instructor is savvy about keeping things PC so suppressed it will be. I had read about an aerial hog and coyote hunter in Texas who uses the SRS solely.

300 Blackout runs fine with regular followers, I've used, PMAGs, Lancers, and 20/30 rnd USGI mags with 300BO in a couple guns both supers/subs suppressed/unsuppressed with no issues.

As for the optic, I know of several from leupold and Trijicon, It will be hard to get a BDC that does both super and subs as there is such a drastic difference in the trajectory.

I have a good deal of experience of firing rifles from a helicopter crew station (not in the back but in the co pilot seat without the benefit of a strap or support) and I'd recommend a red dot vs a variable power or magninfied. Also depending on the airspeeds you will be firing at, you'll have to learn about some external/aerial ballistics such as port/starboard effect, projectile drift, trajectory drift and projectile jump. This comes into effect above ETL and get more pronounced at higher airspeeds. At 90KIAS your holds are pretty pronounced and differ depending on what side of the aircraft you are on.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have a Acog with a 300blk BDC and I really enjoy it. I just use std gen3 pmags and have not had any issue with feeding 3 dif rifles

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Same here. No issues with 5.56 followers. Hardly surprising, considering .300 BLK uses 5.56 parent cases, and was designed to work with the over all AR-15 system with minimal changes.

As for optics, depends on what you personally like to go with. I think an EOTech is a perfect optic for what I'd use a .300 BLK gun for, but as 15ICAM said, there are other options.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
No feeding issues here out of GI surplus mags. I have a 1-4 Leupold SPR on mine and I couldn't be happier. However I can't say I have ever shot out of a helicopter with it. I'd listen to CAM because the man knows what he's talking about when it comes to helicopters (and rifles too). Sounds like a good time.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm happy to hear there are no feeding issues so I can leave my collection of Pmags alone then, it does seem odd though considering the profile between the 5.56 and 300BLK but if everyone is happy with their followers then I can be too.

From what I've been told by the pilot, one of the other shooters uses iron sights on an AR, age hasn't been good to my eyesight so a little assistance is in order. The altitude is no more than 75' AGL moving at 35kph GS. With hogs tending to congregate then scatter when one drops the more I can acquire quickly the more that drop which might rule out even an ACOG.

I have a Acog with a 300blk BDC and I really enjoy it. I just use std gen3 pmags and have not had any issue with feeding 3 dif rifles
Same here. No issues with 5.56 followers. Hardly surprising, considering .300 BLK uses 5.56 parent cases, and was designed to work with the over all AR-15 system with minimal changes.

As for optics, depends on what you personally like to go with. I think an EOTech is a perfect optic for what I'd use a .300 BLK gun for, but as 15ICAM said, there are other options.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definitely soaking in what he's saying, good to have an aerial shooter in the Forum, might come in handy.

I'd listen to CAM because the man knows what he's talking about when it comes to helicopters (and rifles too). Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I highly recommend the Elcan Specterdr 1/4. It’s what I run on my 300 BLK. It can be used like a red dot with illumination on 1 or 4 power. No matter what optic you use even one designed to be used with supers and subs they aren’t going to line up 100% depending on your barrel length and the brand of the rounds you’re using. If you don’t run the can 100% of the time then you have to worry about POI shift in addition to the difference between the supers and subs. There’s no perfect answer I just prefer the Elcan over the acog I was running on it previously. Not that the ACOG wasn’t a great scope because its amazing but the elcan gives me the best of both worlds of 1 or 4 power and the illuminated reticle.

P.S. What everyone else said about the follower no need to change it out and I don’t even know of someone that makes a 300 BLK only follower.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks CameraMan,

I've narrowed the selection down to either a Trijicon SRS or OETech Model 300. Consulting with others it seems unanimous, I'll need the widest FOV attainable to engage as many four-legged critters as possible while flying nearly directly above them. I did look into the Elcan's when I originally bought my 16s but decided against them then as well. Also, it seems most who hunt hogs from choppers are also using red dots. It'll be a learning curve with equipment subject to change.

I highly recommend the Elcan Specterdr 1/4. It’s what I run on my 300 BLK. It can be used like a red dot with illumination on 1 or 4 power. No matter what optic you use even one designed to be used with supers and subs they aren’t going to line up 100% depending on your barrel length and the brand of the rounds you’re using. If you don’t run the can 100% of the time then you have to worry about POI shift in addition to the difference between the supers and subs. There’s no perfect answer I just prefer the Elcan over the acog I was running on it previously. Not that the ACOG wasn’t a great scope because its amazing but the elcan gives me the best of both worlds of 1 or 4 power and the illuminated reticle.

P.S. What everyone else said about the follower no need to change it out and I don’t even know of someone that makes a 300 BLK only follower.

Reactions: TheCameraMan79

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good luck to ya.I had wanted a trijicon SRS since they were introduced and then I saw a ton of reviews talking about the blooming of the reticle and decided for almost a grand I would hold off.I hope they have fixed them since you said yours had that issue.If you end up getting a new one let us know if they resolved the issue.If they have it’s the next on my list to buy.I have 2 eotechs and love them too.They are great optics.The setup as shown was the optic/gun of the weekend at my brother-in-laws bachelor party with everyone drooling on it once they looked through and fired it so it might be worth checking one out in person at least for the future you might be pleasantly surprised with it.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I had my original SRS which I intended to use on my 16s it did have the blooming but I was told I could send it back and they could fix it. Apparently it's a reflection of the electronics and a dab of epoxy cures the problem, I cannot say if it's been addressed on new versions but I would hope so since they admitted knowing what the issue was. I opted to send it back and used the money for my Leupy Mark 6. I'll tell'ya the EOTech 300 is looking VERY attractive and at a much lower price. :mrgreen:

Good luck to ya.I had wanted a trijicon SRS since they were introduced and then I saw a ton of reviews talking about the blooming of the reticle and decided for almost a grand I would hold off.I hope they have fixed them since you said yours had that issue.If you end up getting a new one let us know if they resolved the issue.If they have it’s the next on my list to buy.I have 2 eotechs and love them too.They are great optics.The setup as shown was the optic/gun of the weekend at my brother-in-laws bachelor party with everyone drooling on it once they looked through and fired it so it might be worth checking one out in person at least for the future you might be pleasantly surprised with it.

Reactions: TheCameraMan79

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just wrapped up a 45 minute phone conversation with a very knowledgeable individual at EOTech who recommended the EXPS3-2 stating that the 2-dot version is the same as the Model 300 Blackout plus offers easier zeroing and brightness adjustment and longer battery life. The cost difference between the Trijicon SRS and EOTech offers only one conclusion, EXPS3-2 IT IS!

Thanks Gentlemen for clearing up the follower issue and your optic suggestions, as always they are much appreciated! :?

Mods, you can close this if you wish, thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts