FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to start a new thread off my other. I am looking for experiences with specific brands of brass, so if you have them please post. Primary question is how is the reloadability of the brass and the longevity of the case, my information is based on what I have read(with the exception of Winchester)

Edit to correct list based on comments about longevity and reloadability:

Best:
+ Winchester
+ WCC
+ Lake City
+ Lapua

Good:
+ FGMM
+ IMI
+ CBC/Magtech

Mediocre to poor:
+ PMC
+ Privi
+ Federal/American Eagle

Please correct me where wrong

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I only have limited experience with Privi and most of my brass is FGMM. The FGMM brass is better than the privi. Doesn't flow as much and in my SPR when loaded new, fit better in the chamber (the privi was tight when new, but worked fine after full-length sizing the brass, but I'm not sure how long it'll last. Currently on my 3rd loading of it)

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
Win, WCC are the best for normal brass. Lapau is great bit it cost an arm and a leg.

I use mostly Lake City NATO brass. Be careful with it as it is thicker in the head and body area. This results is less volume in the case itself which can lead to an overpressure event. Reduce the load by 10% if using non military brass data.

I have an affinity for Lake City for two reasons. It's thicker and due to it's thickness, you use a minor less amount of powder. It is not much, but over the course of several thousand rounds, it begins to add up.

Same with 5.56

The amount of reloads depends entirely on the loads you use. Hot loads destroy brass faster.

If you have a good primer pocket swager, it's easy to swage the crimps. Do not use a reamer as this cuts brass from the primer pocket which will result in shorter life due to primer pocket failure.

My rule of thumb is military brass for military firearms, civilian brass for civilian firearms. It just makes sense to me.

IMI is also very good.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I have given a bunch of the CBC ( Magtech ) brass to my budd , he likes that also...
Might want to add that to the acceptable list, if it was " bonk " he would have told me.
Can't speak to the Privi.... I have some and just havent shot it much this past summer, thus didn't gift any to my reloader. I swap him brass for " match " reloads... It beats paying an arm & leg + preserves my stock/hoard pile of Fed SMK 168.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, I just updated the list, please let me know if you agree/disagree with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts