FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it's ok to shoot 308 in 17S, but I was corrected by the guy at my LGS saying SCAR will go KaBoom if I shoot 308. He is wrong is he? I know 308 feeds fine both FAL and M1A.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a SCAR 17 that i purchased about 3 months ago. I have roughly 3,000 rnds through it all chambered in 308.....its good to go bro

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I believe it is:

308 can be shot in any 7.62 rifle

308 rifles can only shoot 308, 7.62 will be too hot of a round and can cause a kaboom in a 308

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm, I bet that LGS guy says "Don't believe forum guys, they will tell you garbage". :roll:

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
What I understand is the opposite, the .308 Winchester is loaded to a higher SAAMI pressure than the 7.62x51 NATO. Generally speaking though FN Herstal is well known for the quality of their barrels and I would venture to guess they designed a safety margin into the Mk17/SCAR 17s barrels. As for the USMC carrying the Mk17, that should be taken with a grain of salt, the 75th Rangers were the first to carry and they were issued the Mk16. I'm not sure if MARSOC has even been issued SCARs. I qualify the aforementioned with this nifty disclaiming acronym, AFAIK. I have been wrong before and anticipate being wrong again in the future how near a future I cannot say at this time. Ain't living and learning fun? :?

He claimed he has so many buddies in Marines and other badass units, and no one likes the 17S. Lol.
I believe it is:

308 can be shot in any 7.62 rifle

308 rifles can only shoot 308, 7.62 will be too hot of a round and can cause a kaboom in a 308

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im trying to order in a FDE from this store, this guy doesnt seem very excited about that motion. Questioned why I need a SCAR but no AR-10 a couple times. I doubt I will actually get it from them.

RadScorpius, you should go back to the LGS, and in the presence of the clerk, call FNH USA and ask them.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Unintended Thread Hi-jack!

Your FFL/LGS may have bargaining power for an AR-10 and not so much for FNH products, therefore it comes down to his or her profit margin. I agree with djv38, it might serve you well to look elsewhere, just a suggestion, I recently bought a 16s from Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls, Idaho via Gun Broker. The 16s along with a 45t were my first ever online firearms purchases and I have no complaints only praises for the experience. You can find excellent deals online.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

·
Registered
232 Posts

"It comes down to the situation too. It's like guys were taking their scopes off of their... their... cause they didn't trust the SR anymore... they're taking their Nightforce scope off and putting it on the FN SCAR Heavy cause now you've got a semi-auto weapon that's very accurate out to probably 800 yards and is a trusted weapon system..."

-Brandon Webb Former Navy Seal

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
SeaMac's spot on. A rifle chambered for .308 can safely fire 7.62x51, but the reverse isn't the case.

Oddly enough, its the exact reverse of the situation with 5.56 and .223.

What I understand is the opposite, the .308 Winchester is loaded to a higher SAAMI pressure than the 7.62x51 NATO. Generally speaking though FN Herstal is well known for the quality of their barrels and I would venture to guess they designed a safety margin into the Mk17/SCAR 17s barrels. As for the USMC carrying the Mk17, that should be taken with a grain of salt, the 75th Rangers were the first to carry and they were issued the Mk16. I'm not sure if MARSOC has even been issued SCARs. I qualify the aforementioned with this nifty disclaiming acronym, AFAIK. I have been wrong before and anticipate being wrong again in the future how near a future I cannot say at this time. Ain't living and learning fun? :?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thei started because of the 223 / 556 deal with ARs. Technically it started hundreds of years ago. Cognac is from a region of France. Therefore all cognacs are true cognac. And the brandies, subset of a type of cognac, that are made in cognac, can also be called a cognac. However if not made in cognac, then it's a brandy.

All rifles stamped 556 can shoot 556 or 223 all day long no issues. 556 has greater pressures. However if the rifle is stamped 223, then don't shoot 556. Most people then extrapolate this to 762/308 thinking that 308 is weaker pressure than 762. It's the reverse. Rifle is stamped 762, then 762 only. If 308, then either. Some will be stamped 762 / 308 and your good with both.

Google can be your biggest friend and time saver if you learn how to use it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts