FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a bunch of 150 grain bullets so I could reload as close to M80 ball as possible. What I've found is that the cannelure on the bullets doesn't match up to the trim length and overall length listed in my 2 reloading manuals. I made 50 rounds and put a light crimp on them, below the cannelure.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? I don't want to seat the Projectiles deeper as this would likely create a compressed load and too much pressure.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes, very frequent issue. Ignore the cannelure. You don't need to crimp bottlenecked, pointed rifle cartridges anyway if neck tension is correct. Different bullet profiles and ogives among manufacturers mean that you need to determine the right OAL for your rifle and chamber. If for the SCAR, you obviously need to make sure they fit in the magazine. Generally speaking you want the longest OAL that will fit/function perfectly in the magazine and doesn't jam into the rifling.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I ended up making them the same length as the M80 ball I have, which works really well for how cheap it is.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I recently purchased a bunch of 150 grain bullets so I could reload as close to M80 ball as possible. What I've found is that the cannelure on the bullets doesn't match up to the trim length and overall length listed in my 2 reloading manuals. I made 50 rounds and put a light crimp on them, below the cannelure.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? I don't want to seat the Projectiles deeper as this would likely create a compressed load and too much pressure.
Hornady bullets? I found Hornady 150gr FMJ set the cannelure at the 30-06 location. Like 1Kperday stated you can just ignore the location and just load to the correct seating depth. I like to use a crimp on semi auto rifles but I use the Lee factory crimp die, it doesn't need the bullet to have a cannelure to get a good crimp.

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I also use the Lee crimp
Your good then, set your depth and crimp if you wish. I set my Lee factory crimp die to apply a crazy amount of crimp just to see what it would do and it crimped so much it hour glass shaped a 168gr BTHP match bullet, so I have no concerns with it crimping enough. I've never had a bullet set back since using the Lee die, cannelured or not.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, like 20 cents per round. I reloaded lots of .223, 22-250, 25-06, .40 and 9mm, just never any .308, so I thought I was screwing something up when the cannelure didn't line up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts