FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever loaded 5.7 with this projectile? If so, thoughts? Its "green" and I believe a solid copper projectile. It would seem that this might be an interesting one to load and test. I think they are listed for .22 hornet but are .224 diameter. Thoughts from other reloaders? Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Haven’t loaded it in 5.7 but have loaded it in my 221 Fireball AR. It’s not a solid. It’s a hollow cavity in the front with a compressed powder core in the rear 2/3. Basically the same as the Barnes Varmint Grenade. I get about 3.1k fps out of an 8” barrel with it but it’s a bit hot. More reasonable would be around 2.9k fps. Out of a 5.7 I’m not sure what would be normal to expect. I called Speer and talked with them about it and they told me to keep the velocity under 3.2k fps and it’s good to load.

Reactions: cdiamond

·
Registered
912 Posts
I loaded 100 of them 4-5 years ago, but would have to look back through some old logs to see the details. The bullet is a short stubby bullet compared to normal bullets I use for the 5.7x28, so the OAL was pretty short. I do not remember any issues with feeding from the FsN, and not sure I had the PS-90 at that point. They also make the same bullet type in a 43 gr. that is similar in profile to the "normal" bullets used in the 5.7x28.

I have had good luck with the 36 gr. Barnes option, so never really went back to the Speer options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts