FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
In my time with the MK17 platform, we never had seen anything like a 30rnd at all. Maybe I am wrong, but the only magazines I had used in my job were only 20rnd scar pattern magazines or our special lowers that used sr25 pattern magazines. I hope that is a good enough answer to your question. And I will add one other note too my answer as well. There ARE old 25rnd and 30rnd Molon labe industries magazines that were manufactured for the scar platform. However they were terrible magazines...

· Registered
719 Posts
Back when SCAR mags were scarce, guys were modifying FAL mags to work in the SCAR. It's actually not hard. There are factory 30 rd mags for some variants of the FAL/L1A1/L2A1 and some of them may have been converted to the SCAR. I don't think I've ever seen one though.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have and made a FAL metric 25 round mag into a scar mag that works well, with a some modification. Basically pounding and grinding down the front locking bump on the mag and cutting a locking window in the side. It works and looks like Thor's hammer in the 17s. I prefer the regular 20 round mags and 10 rounders though. Like before state another company made polymer ones, but they had reliability problems and cracked, from what I remember.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have contacted Magpul on a couple occasions and I was told both times that they won't make and magazines for the 17 because that the company couldn't make them up to the high quality standards of the other magazines that they make.
I do believe that if Magpul wanted to make 30 round mags for the SCAR 17, they could. FN could for that matter.
By the way, the Molon Labe magazines were just awful.

· Registered
Scar 17s NRCH, FNX45
105 Posts
There are 25+ round sr-25/ar-10 pattern mags on the market. I have a few 25rd p mags for my scar, but I'm also running a crappy x products lower, and have a Stryker lower on order. The 25rd mags for the x products lower perfectly. It's all my 10rd mags that didn't fit. Had to fils down the contacts point inside the mag well for my durasteel 10rd mags to drop free.

Scar purists will say that with factory mag availability, stick with the polymer lower. Personally, I don't like spending 40+ bucks per mag. Also, I plan on picking up a bolt gun that uses sr25 mags. So it'll be nice to have to only buy 1 mag pattern and 1 caliber for 2 guns. P mags are cheap and they work.

I remember at one point Magpul said they would mage on mags for the scar 16 or 17... But enough people were buying and modifying 5.56 p mags that Magpul introduced a reviced mag that worked in the 16. Still, the 17 wasnt popular enough, from what I've been told, for Magpul to manufacture mags for that one platform, when only 2 rifles use that type of mag on the market

· Registered
6 Posts
I have contacted Magpul on a couple occasions and I was told both times that they won't make and magazines for the 17 because that the company couldn't make them up to the high quality standards of the other magazines that they make.
I do believe that if Magpul wanted to make 30 round mags for the SCAR 17, they could. FN could for that matter.
By the way, the Molon Labe magazines were just awful.
I remember something about Magpul saying the polymer side walls would be too thin and that's why they won't make them.
Grey Wood Rectangle Gas Audio equipment

Wood Rectangle Flooring Grass Tints and shades

Maybe they should revisit it, if the the tech has improved, but until then the 10s or 20s for me. Here's the hammer (Fal metric, dremel'd and repainted)

· Registered
12,020 Posts
I came to the same conclusion. I scrapped those crummy poly mags I had and use stock magazines.
I do believe quality poly 30 round magazines are possible as well as 30 round mags from FN or other manufacturers.
Otherwise, I am happy with the 20 round FN magazines.
What plastic mags did you have? I bought 4 Moses mags before he went off the rails and they all work fine, Just won't drop freely.

· Registered
6 Posts
What plastic mags did you have? I bought 4 Moses mags before he went off the rails and they all work fine, Just won't drop freely.
I do believe that Magpul could develop and manufacture very good SCAR 17 magazines if they would commit to research and development.
However, the market simply isn’t large enough to justify such action on the part of Magpul.

FN would make 25 to 30 round magazines if (it) was part of a military contract.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts