FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having a lot of trouble reloading the .32acp. I think I have the problem narrowed down to it being the bullets, but I want to hear what others on the forum have to say.

Here it goes:

Reloading for .32ACP dimensions here:

Resized cases with both a LEE and HORNADY dies run .331"

Hornady XTP bullets run .312. Every one I have measured comes to .312. They say they are .311.

Bullets seated come to .341"! This is out of spec and won't chamber! I've tried and it jams on feeding!

SO:

The case wall thickness is 0.0014 x 2 = 0.0028

.331-0.0028 = .3282 in which to stuff a .312 bullet

.3282-.312=0.0162 room to spare...

Factory ammo comes to .334 to .336

Why do mine come to .341?

Please correct me if my math is off...

I measured some factory ammo and the bullets come to .308 to .309.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
I would have used a different bullet. You can try to resize them but it will take one heck of a press to do it, something like the RCBS Rockchucker. And given that these are jacketed hollow points, it might deform the hollow point. You should call Hornady and speak with their ballistics lab to see if they can offer any additional guidance.

What brass are you using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you crimp the case? You might over crimp the case and bulged the case since your case's measurement was .331 and the bullets were .311 or .312, you shouldn't get .341 after seated the bullet. That's what I could think off is you might over-crimp the case.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
^ This . Make sure you are taper crimping the bullet correctly. Too much crimp will bulge the brass and cause feeding issues

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here was some advice I got on another forum:

32 ACP is a different cartridge to load for a couple reasons.

European 7.65mm Browning/.32 ACP uses .308" or .309" bullets and thicker walled brass to produce the final cartridge dimensions.

American .32 ACP use a .311" or .312" bullet in thinner brass to keep the final dimensions under the SAAMI dimensional specification.

The end result is that there is a lot of variation in both bullet diameter and case wall thickness and the combination of a thick walled cases and a .311" or .312" bullet will result in a round that will not chamber in a snug .32 ACP chamber.

The extent to which it is a problem depends on the pistol. I've noted my lather PP pistols in .32 ACP shave very tight chambers and are very picky. However my FEG AP and APK (Walther PP and PPK/S clones) have very generous chambers and will feed anything (but are also harder on brass as it gets worked a lot more in the firing and reloading cycle).

-----

The .32 ACP is a semi-rimmed cartridge that uses a roll crimp, so you certainly can use a roll crimp, but going crazy with it won't solve a excessive diameter issue and at some point it will start to aggravate the problem by creating even more bulge behind the crimp.

There are two possible solutions.

1) In the short term you can try some moderate amounts of post sizing the finished round in a standard sizing die with the decapping assembly removed. You'll want to back the sizing die way off as you'll only be inserting the case maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the normal distance. The brass case will snap back more than the lead bullet, so if you go too crazy with it, you'll lose most of your neck tension and then be totally reliant on the roll crimp to prevent set back. Your target here is a final front of the case dimension of .336".

2) If that works for you and sol yes your problem, you may want to consider getting a Lee factory crimp die. They sell one for the .32 S&W long/.32 H&R, but if you add a spacer (such as a nut) between the crimping element and adjustment knob it will work fine with the shorter .32 ACP. The FCD in that caliber does two things. It has a carbide sizing collar in the bottom of the die that reduces the dimension of the entire round, and it also has a crimping/sizing element that will provide a roll crimp without the bulge.

You can also re-esize the bullet, but the results of re-sizing a jacketed bullet in a .309" die normally won't be a .309 bullet, you're more likely going to get .310" or .311" anyway.
I have tried the post sizing with success. All the rounds chamber now with ease, although I have not had a chance to go out and shoot them yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts