FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I have a SS Walther PPK/s in 380 so when I here 380 I think of my little James Bond piece, Saying that I would love to see how the smaller 32 ACP would do in that same situation.

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
604 Posts
The narrator sounds like John C. Reilly. "How's your melon? Blown?"

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I have one concern with this video or any video that uses an uninstalled vehicle windshield. It is my understanding that an important component of automotive safety glass rigidity is its proper adhesive bond to a frame. This demonstration would be more convincing if the windshield were actually in a vehicle not resting on the ground while leaning on a sawhorse thus allowing it to expand or flex, I'm sensing the need to call BS!

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Mostly the entire US Military and it has worked for them with varying success for a very, very long time, besides a headshot is a headshot and a .22 would do the job. FMJ or HP, I'm not sure anyone would prefer getting shot with either.

Who carries FMJ for a defense load?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have one concern with this video or any video that uses an uninstalled vehicle windshield. It is my understanding that an important component of automotive safety glass rigidity is its proper adhesive bond to a frame. This demonstration would be more convincing if the windshield were actually in a vehicle not resting on the ground while leaning on a sawhorse thus allowing it to expand or flex, I'm sensing the need to call BS!
^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 'flex' actually mitigates kinetic energy. If it were more rigid, the bullet would have more kinetic energy on exit - translated - even better penetration.

mmmkay?

-TH

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mostly the entire US Military and it has worked for them with varying success for a very, very long time, besides a headshot is a headshot and a .22 would do the job. FMJ or HP, I'm not sure anyone would prefer getting shot with either.
That is a nato mandate.

Im sure majority of our soldiers would love some soft points in their trusty 556s to keep from having to dump a whole mag into Hadji when he's all hopped up on Khat.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 'flex' actually mitigates kinetic energy. If it were more rigid, the bullet would have more kinetic energy on exit - translated - even better penetration.

mmmkay?

-TH
Beat me to it. If you guys ever want to know about glass I have a PhD that I work with that is an expert on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im actually impressed, now I don't feel so bad about carrying my LCP..

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
That's interesting. It doesn't explain how a hurricane rated window -loosely based upon the laminated layers of automotive safety glass- will not stop a 2x4 traveling at 115mph when out of its proper frame but stop in its tracks the very same 2x4 while in. The frame being an integral component of its strength.

I have seen automotive safety glass installed -my own vehicle's windshield- prior to install it was actually far flimsier, delicate and flexible that I would have thought, once adhered to its frame its strength became apparent. The tech that did the install explained to me the critical importance of the adhesive and frame. This information is what I have to go on and it does make sense to me that and the fact that glass is technically in a liquid state and the molecules would seem to move easier if not contained or restricted by a mechanical frame. I could be entirely incorrect, glass is not my thing but the above explanation is plausible to me.

mmmkay?

-TH

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
You're absolutely right, I would have loved to carry HP's when I went to battle but I can safely say the FMJ's in my CAR-15, M-16 and 1911 had no problem stopping any threat that came my way. As I said, one in the head usually ends the conflict no matter what the caliber or bullet type.

That is a nato mandate.

Im sure majority of our soldiers would love some soft points in their trusty 556s to keep from having to dump a whole mag into Hadji when he's all hopped up on Khat.

Reactions: mattr66

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're absolutely right, I would have loved to carry HP's when I went to battle but I can safely say the FMJ's in my CAR-15, M-16 and 1911 had no problem stopping any threat that came my way. As I said, one in the head usually ends the conflict no matter what the caliber or bullet type.
Touche sir... Point well taken

·
Registered
641 Posts
Still wouldn't use .380 for personal defense. Yeah It'll kill a guy dead, but that baddy would likely have a few seconds of life to shoot back at ya with.

A hot 9mm P+ SD load or standard .45ACP would kill a man still on his feet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts