FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 3D printer and have been messing around with it for a few days when I had a few good ideas for things I could use it for. Awhile ago I was on silencer talk where a user there designed a tool for the octane series and cut it out of some plastic he had around. Well I didn't have the right kind of plastic to make myself one until now! I designed the tool in an AutoCAD program and printed it tonight. I must say I'm impressed how well it came out. And it's very strong too.

It fits right over the octane thread adapters to give you the leverage you need to get a stubborn adapter off and the other end is designed to go into the groves of the end cap to tighten or loosen it especially if you don't want to scratch your end cap with the metal piston. I even designed and printed an insert for a plastic box I bought to neatly fit all my suppressor parts and plastic glued it into my box. I'm so excited to find more uses for this printer!

Here are pictures, what do you guys think? Pretty sweet!

·
Registered
270 Posts
hyrulejedi86 said:
3D printing, Why didn't I do this sooner!?
I found the answer!

hyrulejedi86 said:
Well I didn't have the right kind of plastic to make myself one until now!
[/smartass]

I'm kinda surprised that the Octane doesn't come with a disassembly tool. I don't have an Octane yet but getting the booster out of my osprey when it's dirty can take quite a bit of force with the little square tool they give ya.

This could be your next project!

Hands On With America's First 3D-Printed Metal Silencer - The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments! The tool fits right into that box too! I thought about adding another design to the side that helps unscrew the 3lug because I have a hard time with that sometimes.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Nicely done, man!

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Nice work. :?

3D printers are a valuable tool for prototyping, and making plastic parts. Technology has come a long way in many respects.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are very useful. I have a dealer here with a class 3 manufacturers license and said that he has printed his baffle designs out to test fit and design before committing the time and metal to machine them.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
3D printing is here to stay. Within a couple of decades, metal SLS printing* (or a reasonable analogue) will be cheap enough for consumer grade equipment.

* This technology is powerful enough to make complete guns, including bolts and barrels. A lot of gun laws, which only work because the manufacturing and distribution is controlled, will become obsolete overnight.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wonder if this is strong enough to make a stock adapter for the cz scorpion vz61 cause I cant find one to sbr mine
I doubt that these consumer models would make a product strong enough for a stock adapter. There is a lot of leverage force on that item. Besides you would still have to design it first. It would be cheaper and faster to whittle one with your pocket knife.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.