FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI EVERYBODY!!

Just checking in with some update, thoughts and questions. Forgive me if this turns out too long. Im bored.

This FNX-40 Stainless is turning out to be the best $300 I ever spent! $350 out the door after shipping and background check. I bought this through an auction, second hand from a pawn shop in VA, and as best I (and the FFL) could tell it had never been fired. The mfg shipping label on the case indicates this thing is maybe a year old. However, there was not ANY marking on the chamber block to indicate the slide had been being actuated. That did start to appear once I started playing with it and racking the slide.

I managed to put 400 flawless rounds through it so far. Exclusively Federal: Federal Premium LE HST in 165 &180 gr, LE Hydro shok in 135, 165 and 180 gr, AE in 165 & 180 gr, and even a box of the Walmart specials WM5223 (yes Federal makes those too). BTW (my insider understanding) the Walmart WM5223 are the same round as the AE40R1 specially packed for walmart ;) now ya know. She Ate every round without a single malfunction of any sort.

I am used to shooting a Baretta 92 from way back and this thing is WAY snappier. First time shooting the FNX 40 (a friends), first mag I think I hit the paper once. Not used to combat sights POA POI. I was doing the 6 O'clock hold and pulling low. I think the one that hit was a high flier LOL. But I do know in the right hands my SS FNX-40 is acurate. I handed IT and 3 full mags to the friend who turned me on to the FNX-40, he proceeded to punch the 10 ring out of the VisiColor Target he rolled out to 40ft. If it was the carnival I would have owed him a bear.

I probably should have purchased a 9mm or 45acp for acuracy, but 40S&W is the ammo that is readily available to me and cheap. 9 and 45 are scarce unless I want to pay retail. which I dont. Good guy as he is: he reminded me that he had been shooting the FNX40 pretty much every weekend for two years to get that good.

As for me; after only a few times out, and working on my stance and trigger work, I can keep them all in the target and usually hit the center at least two or three times at 30-40ft. My eyes are definately alot worse than when I was shooting that Baretta 15 or so years ago.

Anyways, thinking about whats next: putting the Ameriglo night sights on $50, or should I get a lazer p0inter for the rail? Where can I get a guide rod laser for this??? Does DPM make the recoil reduction for the FNX40? Have slide machined for a red dot These guys do it but seems expensive?

WHat do you guys think? About anything I said above.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Congrats on the .40 cal. I shoot the .40 cal as my main go to pistol too. If you shoot 180 grain bullets it's a noticeably decrease in recoil. It's also a little less foot pounds of energy than the 165 grainers are though.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ohh yea I was going to ask about loads/grains vs recoil.

I have been shooting up all my odds and ends ammo and been saving my stockpile of HST3's. The HST3's are the same price (for me) as AE so I have just been buying top shelf ammo. I am not yet profecient enough to notice the difference between 165 vs 180gr. However when I was shooting the 135gr Hydro Shok ammo at 1200 fps THEY seemed noticably lighter on muzzle flip.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I shoot Hornady Critical Defense 165 grn...pretty snappy recoil at 1100 some odd feet per second. The 175 grn Critical Duty rounds are about a hundred fps slower. Shoot the different grains back to back and I'm sure you'll notice a difference. I've been contemplating trying out those high velocity 135 grainers...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Thats why I went with the HST3's. Rated at 1130fps and 468 ft/lbs of energy they rate roughly the same as most 230gr 45acp +p. LOL and you pay for it with SNAPPINESS!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Congrats! I personally like night sights, so that would be a good upgrade IMO. If it's a home defense gun, a good light would be good (Streamlight). I don't like laser's on weapons (unless it's an IR laser and you're using NVG's, which the vast majority of people won't be doing).

As to the red dot, if you can, try one on a pistol first if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts