FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI EVERYBODY!!

Just checking in with some update, thoughts and questions. Forgive me if this turns out too long. Im bored.

This FNX-40 Stainless is turning out to be the best $300 I ever spent! $350 out the door after shipping and background check. I bought this through an auction, second hand from a pawn shop in VA, and as best I (and the FFL) could tell it had never been fired. The mfg shipping label on the case indicates this thing is maybe a year old. However, there was not ANY marking on the chamber block to indicate the slide had been being actuated. That did start to appear once I started playing with it and racking the slide.

I managed to put 400 flawless rounds through it so far. Exclusively Federal: Federal Premium LE HST in 165 &180 gr, LE Hydro shok in 135, 165 and 180 gr, AE in 165 & 180 gr, and even a box of the Walmart specials WM5223 (yes Federal makes those too). BTW (my insider understanding) the Walmart WM5223 are the same round as the AE40R1 specially packed for walmart ;) now ya know. She Ate every round without a single malfunction of any sort.

I am used to shooting a Baretta 92 from way back and this thing is WAY snappier. First time shooting the FNX 40 (a friends), first mag I think I hit the paper once. Not used to combat sights POA POI. I was doing the 6 O'clock hold and pulling low. I think the one that hit was a high flier LOL. But I do know in the right hands my SS FNX-40 is acurate. I handed IT and 3 full mags to the friend who turned me on to the FNX-40, he proceeded to punch the 10 ring out of the VisiColor Target he rolled out to 40ft. If it was the carnival I would have owed him a bear.

I probably should have purchased a 9mm or 45acp for acuracy, but 40S&W is the ammo that is readily available to me and cheap. 9 and 45 are scarce unless I want to pay retail. which I dont. Good guy as he is: he reminded me that he had been shooting the FNX40 pretty much every weekend for two years to get that good.

As for me; after only a few times out, and working on my stance and trigger work, I can keep them all in the target and usually hit the center at least two or three times at 30-40ft. My eyes are definately alot worse than when I was shooting that Baretta 15 or so years ago.

Anyways, thinking about whats next: putting the Ameriglo night sights on $50, or should I get a lazer p0inter for the rail? Where can I get a guide rod laser for this??? Does DPM make the recoil reduction for the FNX40? Have slide machined for a red dot These guys do it but seems expensive?

WHat do you guys think? About anything I said above.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ohh yea I was going to ask about loads/grains vs recoil.

I have been shooting up all my odds and ends ammo and been saving my stockpile of HST3's. The HST3's are the same price (for me) as AE so I have just been buying top shelf ammo. I am not yet profecient enough to notice the difference between 165 vs 180gr. However when I was shooting the 135gr Hydro Shok ammo at 1200 fps THEY seemed noticably lighter on muzzle flip.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Thats why I went with the HST3's. Rated at 1130fps and 468 ft/lbs of energy they rate roughly the same as most 230gr 45acp +p. LOL and you pay for it with SNAPPINESS!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.